Baking For Dummies
Baking For Dummies
ISBN: 978-1-118-06974-5 April 2011 360 Pages
The magic is in the doing and baking expert Emily Nolan shows you how. In almost no time, you'll get down to basics with easy-to-follow tips on:
- Outfitting your kitchen with a baker's essentials iincluding baking pans (loaf pans, springform pans, glass vs. aluminum pie plates), food processors and blenders, bowls, measuring cups, graters, and sifters
- Measuring ingredients, preparing pans, working with eggs, zesting fruit, and melting chocolate
- Getting ready to bake,preparing your kitchen, working with recipes, and using the right equipment
And once you're all set, you'll marvel at how simple creating the smallest baking masterpiece really is:
- From chocolate cupcakes topped with mocha frosting to a lemon-curd cheesecake, to fluffy blueberry muffins and buttermilk biscuits
- From scrumptious pumpkin and chocolate cream pies and a classic cheesecake to outrageously delicious chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies
- From a heart-warming chicken potpie to a yummy cheese soufflé
With over 100 recipes to choose from (including ones for soft pretzels and pizza!), eight pages of color photos, a summary cheat sheet of baking essentials, black-and-white how-to illustrations, and humorous cartoons along the way, the book will reward, even a baking novice, with delicious results and allow you to enjoy the unending magic of baking from scratch.
Table of contents
Part I: Baking Essentials.
Chapter 1: Bake, For Goodness' Sake!
Chapter 2: Stocking Up.
Chapter 3: Going Over the Gear.
Part II: Basic Training.
Chapter 4: Understanding Your Oven.
Chapter 5: Basic Techniques.
Chapter 6: Getting Ready to Bake.
Part III: Ready, Set, Bake!
Chapter 7: Understanding Cookies.
Chapter 8: Creating Great Cakes.
Chapter 9: Fabulous Frostings.
Chapter 10: Perfect Pies and Tarts.
Chapter 11: Crisps, Cobblers, and Other Delights.
Chapter 12: Quick Breads, Muffins, and Biscuits.
Chapter 13: Yeast Breads.
Chapter 14: Savory Baked Goods.
Chapter 15: Baking with Mixes and Premade Doughs.
Chapter 16: Low-Fat Baking.
Part IV: Other Important Stuff.
Chapter 17: Storing Your Creations.
Chapter 18: Making the Ordinary Extraordinary.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 19: Ten Troubleshooting Tips.
Chapter 20: Ten Great Baking Sources.
Appendix A: Glossary of Baking Terms.
Appendix B: Metric Conversion Guide.