Notes on Contributors.
Introduction: Alan McKee.
1. The Best Contemporary Mainstream Superhero Comics Writer – Brian Michael Bendis: Henry Jenkins.
2. The Best Batman Story – The Dark Knight Returns: Will Brooker.
3. The Best Serial Killer Novel – Red Dragon: Sue Turnbull.
4. The Best Australian Romance Novelist – Emma Darcy: Glen Thomas.
5. The Best Website For Men Who Have Sex With Men – cruisingforsex.com: Mark McLelland.
6. The Best Basketball Player – Michael Jordan: Thomas McLaughlin.
7. The Best Sneakers – The Nike Air Max Classic TW: Claire Gould.
8. The Best Action Console Game – Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: John Banks.
9. The Best Motorbike – the Ducati 916 Superbike: Margaret Henderson.
10. The Best Propaganda – Humphrey Jennings, The Silent Village (1943): John Hartley.
11. The Best Villain in Xena: Warrior Princess – Alti: Sara Gwenllian Jones.
12. The Best Pop Princess – Kylie Minogue: Marc Brennan.
13. The Best Disco Record – Sharon Redd: “Never Give You Up”: Simon Frith.
14. Conclusion: Alan McKee.
- An entertaining and informative guide to the range of aesthetic criteria that goes into judging mass culture's most celebrated texts and objects - from Batman to motor bikes, and pop stars to internet pornography.
- Brings together a series of accessible and engaging essays written by connoisseurs of various areas of popular culture.
- Tackles the core question of how consumers make decisions about what is good popular culture and what is bad popular culture.
- Offers an entertaining and educative read for academic readers as well as purveyors of culture; moving beyond a 'greatest hits' list of popular culture to debate broader issues.