1. The Return of Capitalism.
2. Four Exits.
3. New Social Movements?.
4. The Social Left and the Ultra-Left.
5. Two Possible Policies: the Third Way and a Two-and-a-Half Policy.
'The rise of neoliberalism over the past two decades – first nationally in the UK and the US, then globally – requires new analyses of capitalism and its recent transformation. But it also requires us to rethink the possible responses to it, in the form of both intellectual critique and social and political action. Unafraid of questioning old and new dogmas, Alain Touraine argues forcefully that neither the flat rejection of the new capitalism with the old arguments nor its embracing by the new social democracy will be sufficient. Provocative when it first appeared in France, this book will now certainly enrich the global debate about politico-economic alternatives at a time when it is often held, both by critics and followers of neoliberalism, that there are none.' Peter Wagner, European University Institute
"Alain Touraine remains an intellectual spirit, a saint if you like, behind collective action and social movements everywhere". Radim Marada, Social Movement Studies
1. Touraine is one of the leading social thinkers in the world today and many of his books have been published in English.
2. Touraine advances an important new argument about how nation states can move beyond neo-liberalism.
3. This is a major new contribution to current debates about the future of social democracy.