Discover a new, strategic brand of corporate communication that cuts through today's Dilbert-esque cynicism to engage workforces, manage constant change, and align organizations. In Beyond Spin, three experts detail the techniques of corporate journalism--an ingenious communications model that hinges on open, accurate, and strategically weighted reporting inside a corporation. With practical guidelines and real-world examples from SGI, Microsoft, J.P. Morgan, and other corporations, Beyond Spin helps you equip your company with this powerful new standard of communication--one that makes the most of every communications vehicle to keep your company aligned, nimble, innovative, and fiercely competitive.
Table of contents
Foreword Preface: The Power of Strategic Corporate Jounalism Prelude: "Headless Body in Topless Boardroom!"
1. THE NEW WORLD Taylorism Macro Sociotechnological Factors Summary
2. COMMUNICATIONS UNPLUGGED Aligned Communications Elements of an Effective Organizational Communication Strategy Considering the Organizational Landscape Summary
3. JOURNALISM IN THE REAL WORLD Why Journalism? Get It First--But Get It Right Openness and a Free Press Weighing News Value Intrinsic Credibility Challenges Corporations Resemble Socity
4. STRATEGIC CORPORATE JOURNALISM Timeliness Accuracy Free Press Weighing News Value The New Corporation Strategic Corporate Journalism
5. CORPORATE JOUNALISM IN ACTION Brief History Examples of Corporate Journalism Progress--and Room to Grow
6. CORPORATE JOURNALISM: A CASE STUDY Stages in the History of SGI (formerly Silicon Graphics) Endnotes: Worldwide Employee Communications FAQ
7. FUTURE WORLD Macro Sociotechnological Trends The Knowledge Economy Communications Trends Legal Trends Societal Journalism and Strategic Corporate Journalism Some Closing Thoughts
Appendix 1: A Guide to Corporate Journalism Appendix 2. Glossary
References The Authors Acknowledgements Index
"This book shows how to do 'corporate journalism' with sensitivity, realism and humor. It delivers a tone of practical hope, including specific actions you can take right now to make your company a better place and a better space." --Robert Johansen, president, Institute for the Future
"Finally, a precise step-by-step guide for America's flacks that explains how to do business better--and surprise--by telling the truth. This timely book should be on every CEO's desk and in every corporate PR department." --Peter Laufer, author and producer, Omnipoint Business Minute radio feature, and former German correspondent for Public Radio International's (PRI) Marketplace
"Beyond Spin shatters long held and traditional views about how a successful company communicates with its employees. It defines, with real examples, how a company's communication organization can either dramatically undermine or bolster its success." --Tamar Elkeles, vice president, Learning and Communications, Qualcomm