DescriptionFrom its inception, this NSF-sponsored learning system was hailed as a welcome departure from traditional approaches, both in terms of organization and delivery of content. BioInquiry tells the story of the process of science, and so is organized to trace scientists’ journey to biological understanding, beginning with Darwin and evolution. The Third Edition’s unique integration of multimedia – developed in tandem with the text and designed to provide additional dimension to key topics - is now seamlessly housed in the powerful engine of Egrade Plus. The result is an integrated product that presents a more realistic approach to what non-science majors need to be informed citizens and scientifically literate consumers of information.
2. Evolution: Why Are There So Many Living Things?
3. Mendelian Genetics: How Are Traits Inherited?
4. Cells: What are the Building Blocks of Life?
5. Chromosomes: Where Are the Genes Found?
6. Molecular Biology: What Is DNA and How Does It Work?
7. Biotechnology: How Do We Use What We Know about Life?
8. Population Genetics: How Do Genes Move through Time and Space?
9. Biodiversity: How Diverse Is Life?
10. Bioenergetics: How Do Organisms Acquire and Use Energy?
11. Animal Physiology: How Do Organisms Respond to Change?
12. Human Physiology: How Does the Human Body Work?
13. Plant Forum and Function: How Do Plants Live in the World?
14. Behavior: How Do Animals Interact with Other Animals?
15. Population Ecology: How Do Organisms Interact to Form Populations?
16. Ecology: How Do Organism Interact with Their Environments?
Appendix A: A Brief Review of Basic Chemistry.
Appendix B: A Brief Review of the Chemistry of Life.
Appendix C: The Diversity of Life.
New Section on Nutrition. Requested by users and reviewers, a new section on nutrition has been added to the Bioenergetics chapter. This material is written with an emphasis on peer-reviewed, research based literature, accurate information, and not the pop culture media.
Material on Biological Diversity has been streamlined and revised for greater clarity in the presentation of this important topic.
WileyPLUS Enhances Effectiveness & Efficiency in Course Management. WileyPLUS is a powerful online tool that provides instructors with an integrated suite of teaching and learning resources, including an online version of the text, in one easy-to-use website. Organized around the essential activities you perform in class, WileyPLUS allows you to create class presentations, assign homework and quizzes that will be automatically graded, and track your students' progress. The system links homework problems to the relevant section of the online text, providing students with context-sensitive help. View a demo and learn more about WileyPLUS by visiting www.wiley.com/college/wileyplus
- Innovative Organization Tells the Story of Scientific Discovery. The text’s organization is based on a discovery approach in which students learn about biology in the same timeline in which scientists have come to understand biology. (see annotated table of contents below for explanation.)
- No longer front-loaded in the text, Chemistry is integrated to support concepts and featured in an Appendix. Accompanying multimedia walks students through a chemistry review.
- Varied Learning Styles. BioInquiry is a flexible project that provides multiple presentations allowing students with different learning styles to grasp and comprehend the same material. The integrated learning system encourages students to explore exercises and activities designed for visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners, all of which dovetail with processes that they read about in the text.
- Written With Non-Majors’ Needs In Mind. The writing style and learning system is designed to be accessible and engaging for students so that they can see the relationship between the ideas presented. Students who class tested the material found it exciting to work with concepts that they read about in the text.
- Emphasis on Conceptual Understanding, Not Unnecessary Detail. The authors have followed NSF recommendations focusing on developing concepts thoroughly as opposed to including every detail. Streamlining the content allows the students to spend more time working with the major themes in Biology.
- Integrated Learning System. From the project’s inception, content has been matched to the best possible medium, and the media have been authored in a unique, integrative manner. The result is seamless and streamlined presentation. You don’t need correlation guides to integrate multiple supplements into your course because each component was created with the other media in mind.