Biogeography: An Ecological and Evolutionary Approach, 8th Edition
DescriptionThrough seven successful editions, and over nearly 40 years, Biogeography: An Ecological and Evolutionary Approach has provided a thorough and comprehensive exploration of the varied scientific disciplines and research that are essential to understanding the subject. The text has been praised for its solid background in historical biogeography and basic biology, that is enhanced and illuminated by discussions of current research.
This new edition incorporates the exciting changes of the recent years, and presents a thoughtful exploration of the research and controversies that have transformed our understanding of the biogeography of the world.
It also clearly identifies the three quite different arenas of biogeographical research: continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography. It is the only current textbook with full coverage of marine biogeography.
It reveals how the patterns of life that we see today have been created by the two great Engines of the Planet - the Geological Engine, plate tectonics, which alters the conditions of life on the planet, and the Biological Engine, evolution, which responds to these changes by creating new forms and patterns of life.
1 A History of Biogeography.
2 Patterns of Distribution.
3 Communities and Ecosystems.
4 Patterns of Biodiversity.
5 The Engines of the Planet I: Plate Tectonics.
6 The Engines of the Planet II:Evolution, the Source of Novelty.
7 From Evolution to Patterns of Life.
8 Life,Death,and Evolution on Islands.
9 Drawing Lines in the Water.
10 Living in the Past.
11 The Geography of Life Today.
12 Ice and Change.
13 The Advent of Humanity.
14 Into the Future.
- Updated material with the latest information and explores the most current controversies
- New chapter on plate tectonics
- Many new up-to-date figures and references
· Contains a balanced treatment of continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography
· Presents students with a sound historical base
· Evaluates conflicting theories and provide a reasoned judgment as to which is preferable
· Deals in depth with continental biogeography, island biogeography and marine biogeography