1. The Prokaryotic Cell: F Mayer.
Cellular and Subcellular Organization of Prokaryotes: F Mayer.
2. Basic Prerequisites for Cellular Live: A Kroger, G Fuchs.
Substrate-Level Phosphorylation: A Kroger.
Electron-Transport-Coupled Phosphorylation: A Kroger.
Multiple Roles of Prokaryotic Cell Membranes: R Kramer.
Growth and Nutrition: G Fuchs, A Kroger.
Biosynthesis of Building Blocks: G Fuchs.
3. Diversity of Metabolic Pathways: G Fuchs.
Assimilation of Macroelements and Microelements: G Fuchs.
Oxidation of Organic Compounds: G Fuchs.
Oxidation of Inorganic Compounds by Chemolithotrophs: G Kuenen.
Aerobic Respiration and Regulation of Aerobic/Anaerobic Metabolism: G Unden.
Anaerobic Energy Metabolism: W Buckel.
Utilization of Light by Prokaryotes: G Drews.
4. The Genetics of the Prokaryotes and Their Viruses: B Friedrich, J W Lengeler.
DNA, Chromosomes, and Plasmids: W Messer.
The Genetic Information: W Hillen.
Genetic Exchange Between Microorganisms: E Lanka, W Pansegrau.
Recombinant DNA Technology: R Knippers, C-A Alpert.
5. Gene Expression and Regulatory Mechanisms: J W Lengeler.
Regulation of Gene Expression: Operons and Regulons: S Adhya.
Posttranslational Control and Modifications of Proteins: G R Jacobson.
Global Regulatory Networks and Signal Transduction Pathways: J W Lengeler, P W Postma.
Regulation of Fermentation and Respiration: E C C Lin.
6. Cell Growth and Differentiation: G Drews, J W Lengeler.
The Bacterial Cell Cycle: K Nordstrom.
Assembly of Cellular Surface Structures: K Jann, B Jann.
Processes of Cellular Differentiation: G Drews.
Sporulation and Cell Differentiation: M A Marahiel, P Zuber.
Bacteriophages as Models for Differentiation: B Kemper.
Secondary Metabolism in Bacteria: Antibiotic Pathways, Regulation and Function: G Lancini, A L Demain.
Adaptation to Extreme Environments: I R Booth.
7. Diversity and Systematics: E Stackebrandt.
Prokaryotic Diversity and Systematics: E Stackebrandt, B Tindall, W Ludwig, M Goodfellow.
8. Prokaryotes in the Biosphere: B Schink.
Ecophysiology and Ecological Niches of Prokaryotes: B Schink.
Habitats of Prokaryotes: B Schink.
Global Biogeochemical Cycles: B Schink.
9. Applied Microbiology: A Puhler.
Prokaryotes in Medicine: J Hacker.
Prokaryotes in Agriculture: F O'Gara, U B Priefer, D N Dowling, M P Nuti.
Prokaryotes in Industrial Production: H Sahm.
Prokaryotes in Environmental Processes: B Schink.
Prokaryotes and Man: Chances, Promises and Risks: A Puhler.
- The first text to adopt an integrated view of the prokaryotic cell as an organism and as a member of a population.
- Vividly illustrates the diversity of the prokaryotic world - nearly all the metabolic diversity in living organisms is found in microbes.
- New developments in applied microbiology highlighted.
- Extensive linking between related topics allows easy navigation through the book.
- Essential definitions and conclusions highlighted.
- Supplementary information in boxes.