DescriptionEdited by a panel of experts, this book fills a gap in the existing literature by comprehensively covering system, processing, and application aspects of biometrics, based on a wide variety of biometric traits. The book provides an extensive survey of biometrics theory, methods,and applications, making it an indispensable source of information for researchers, security experts, policy makers, engineers, practitioners, and graduate students. The book's wide and in-depth coverage of biometrics enables readers to build a strong, fundamental understanding of theory and methods, and provides a foundation for solutions to many of today’s most interesting and challenging biometric problems.
Biometric traits covered:
Face, Fingerprint, Iris, Gait, Hand Geometry, Signature, Electrocardiogram (ECG), Electroencephalogram (EEG), physiological biometrics.
Theory, Methods and Applications covered:
Multilinear Discriminant Analysis, Neural Networks for biometrics, classifier design, biometric fusion, Event-Related Potentials, person-specific characteristic feature selection, image and video-based face, recognition/verification, near-infrared face recognition, elastic graph matching, super-resolution of facial images, multimodal solutions, 3D approaches to biometrics, facial aging models for recognition, information theory approaches to biometrics, biologically-inspired methods, biometric encryption, decision-making support in biometric systems, privacy in biometrics.
1. Discriminant Analysis for Dimensionality Reduction: An Overview of Recent Developments (Jieping Ye and Shuiwang Ji).
2. A Taxonomy of Emerging Multilinear Discriminant Analysis Solutions for Biometric Signal Recognition (Haiping Lu, Konstantinos N. Plataniotis, and Anastasios N. Venetsanopoulos).
3. A Comparative Survey on Biometric Identity Authentication Techniques Based on Neural Networks (Raghudeep Kannavara and Nikolaos Bourbakis).
4. Designing Classifiers for Fusion-Based Biometric Verification (Kritha Venkataramani and B. V. K. Vijaya Kumar).
5. Person-Specific Characteristic Feature Selection for Face Recognition (Sreekar Krishna, Vineeth Balasubramanian, John Black, and Sethuraman Panchanathan).
6. Face Verification Based on Elastic Graph Matching (Anastasios Tefas and Ioannis Pitas).
7. Combining Geometrical and Statistical Models for Video-Based Face Recognition (Amit K. Roy-Chowdhury and Yilei Xu).
8. A Biologically Inspired Model for the Simultaneous Recognition of Identity and Expression (Donald Neth and Aleix M. Martinez).
9. Multimodal Biometrics Based on Near-Infrared Face Recognition (Rui Wang, Shengcai Liao, Zhen Lei, and Stan Z. Li).
10. A Novel Unobtrusive Face and Hand Geometry Authentication System Based on 2D and 3D Data (Filareti Tsalakanidou and Sotiris Malassiotis).
11. Learning Facial Aging Models: A Face Recognition Perspective (Narayanan Ramanathan and Rama Chellappa).
12. Super-Resolution of Face Images (Sung Won Park and Marios Savvides).
13. Iris Recognition (Yung-Hui Li and Marios Savvides).
14. Learning in Fingerprints (Alessandra Lumini, Loris Nanni, and Davide Maltoni).
15. A Comparison of Classification- and Indexing-Based Approaches for Fingerprint Identification (Xuejun Tan, Bir Bhanu, and Rong Wang).
16. Electrocardiogram (ECG) Biometric for Robust Identification and Secure Communication (Francis Minhthang Bui, Foteini Agrafioti, and Dimitrios Hatzinakos).
17. The Heartbeat: The Living Biometric (Steven A. Israel, John M. Irvine, Brenda K. Wiederhold, and Mark D. Wiederhold).
18. Multimodal Physiological Biometrics Authentication (Alessandro Riera, Aureli Soria-Frisch, Mario Caparrini, Ivan Cester, and Giulio Ruffini).
19. A Multiresolution Analysis of the Effect of Face Familiarity on Human Event-Related Potentials (Brett DeMarco and Evangelia Micheli-Tzanakou).
20. On-Line Signature-Based Authentication: Template Security Issues and Countermeasures (Patrizio Campisi, Emanuele Maiorana, and Alessandro Neri).
21. Unobtrusive Biometric Identification Based on Gait (Xiaxi Huang and Nikolaos V. Boulgouris).
22. Distributed Source Coding for Biometrics: A Case Study on Gait Recognition (Savvas Argyropoulos, Dimosthenis Ioannidis, Dimitrios Tzovaras, and Michael G. Strintzis).
23. Measuring Information Content in Biometric Features (Richard Youmaran and Andy Adler).
24. Decision-Making Support in Biometric-Based Physical Access Control Systems: Design Concept, Architecture, and Applications (Svetlana N. Yanushkevich, Vlad P. Shmerko, Oleg Boulanov, and Adrian Stoica).
25. Privacy in Biometrics (Stelvio Cimato, Marco Gamassi, Vincenzo Piuri, Roberto Sassi, and Fabio Scotti).
26. Biometric Encryption: The New Breed of Untraceable Biometrics (Ann Cavoukian and Alex Stoianov).
""Filling a gap in the existing literature by comprehensively covering system, processing, and application aspects of biometrics, based on a wide variety of biometric traits, the book provides an extensive survey of biometrics theory, methods, and applications, making it an indispensable source of information for researchers, security experts, policy makers, engineers, practitioners, and graduate students. The book's wide and in-depth coverage of biometrics."" (Current Engineering Practice, 2010)
Builds a strong, fundamental understanding of theory and methods and provides a foundation for solutions to many of today’s most interesting and challenging biometrics problems
Emphasis is given to emerging topics, such as userspecific parameterization, biometric individuality, biometric cryptosystems, quality measure of biometrics data, and sensor interoperability
Each chapter includes a summary and bibliography for further reading
Includes access to a Web site which will provide a wealth of information extending the book's content, including links to biometrics related forums.