Preface to the Second Edition.
1. Introduction to Biostatistics.
2. Biostatistical Design of Medical Studies.
3. Descriptive Statistics.
4. Statistical Inference: Populations and Samples.
5. One- and Two-Sample Inference.
6. Counting Data.
7. Categorical Data: Contingency Tables.
8. Nonparametric, Distribution-Free and Permutation Models: Robust Procedures.
9. Association and Prediction: Linear Models with One Predictor Variable.
10. Analysis of Variance.
11. Association and Prediction: Multiple Regression Analysis, Linear Models with Multiple Predictor Variables.
12. Multiple Comparisons.
13. Discrimination and Classification.
14. Principal Component Analysis and Factor Analysis.
15. Rates and Proportions.
16. Analysis of the Time to an Event: Survival Analysis.
17. Sample Sizes for Observational Studies.
18. Longitudinal Data Analysis.
19. Randomized Clinical Trials.
20. A Personal Postscript.
"The book would serve as a good springboard for structuring an introductory biostatistics course…" (The American Statistician, August 2005)
"...the book will be a great resource for new readers as well as professionals in the field of health research." (E-STREAMS, May 2005)
"...this comprehensive book should continue to merit consideration by anyone looking for a desktop reference in biostatistics." (Technometrics, May 2005)
“…this second edition adds two new chapters: one on randomised clinical trials, and another on longitudinal data analysis.” (Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol.32, No.3, April 2005)
"Beyond comprehensiveness, the differentiating characteristics of this textbook is the use of medical examples...a text that can be fully appreciated by those seeking a technical statistical reference…" (The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, March 2005)
“…enjoyable reading…approachable and comprehensible…a useful addition to the bookshelf of any biomedical researcher…” (Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, Vol.168, No.2, March 2005)
“…this updated edition will ensure the ongoing usefulness of this valuable resource…” (Short Book Reviews, Vol.24, No.3, December 2004)
"…chock full of information and careful examination…scientists and researchers who access this information will gain much new insight…" (Electric Review, October/ November 2004)
"The authors have dealt with the subject matter in truly comprehensive terms… scientists and researchers who access this information will gain much new insight..." (Electric Review, July/August 2004)