Part I: Sociocognitive Processes.
1.The Root of all Evil in Intergroup Relations? Unearthing the Categorization Process. (Penelope Oakes).
2. Stereotypes: Content, Structures, Processes, and Context. (Don Operatio and Susan T. Fiske).
3. Category Dynamics and the Modification of Outgroup Stereotypes. (Myron Rothbart).
4. Developmental and Socialization Influences on Intergroup Bias. (Frances E. Aboud and Maria Amato).
Part II: Motivation.
5. Social Orientations in the Minimal Group Paradigm. (Richard Y. Bourhis and André Gagnon).
6. Aversive Discrimination. (Amélie Mummendey and Sabine Otten).
7.The Social Identity Perspective in Intergroup Relations: Theories, Themes and Controversies. (John C. Turner and Katherine J. Reynolds).
8. Affect as a Cause of Intergroup Bias. (David Wilder and Andrew F. Simon).
Part III: Prejudice.
9. Implicit and Explicit Attitudes: Examination of the Relationship between Measures of Intergroup Bias. (John F. Dovidio, Kerry Kawakami, and Kelly R. Beach).
10. Classic and Contemporary Analysis of Racial Prejudice. (Patricia G. Devine, E. Ashby Plant, and Irene V. Blair).
11. Sexism: Attitudes, Beliefs and Behaviours. (Janet K. Swim and Bernadette Campbell).
12. Psychological Consequences of Devalued Identities. (Jennifer Crocker and Diane M. Quinn).
Part IV: Language and Influence.
13. How Language Contributes to Persistence of Stereotypes as well as other, more general, Intergroup Issues. (Klaus Fiedler and Jeannette Schmid).
14. Social Influence in an Intergroup Context. (Diane M. Mackie and Crystal L. Wright).
Part V: Social Comparison.
15. The Social Psychology of Minority-Majority Relations. (Bernd Simon, Birgit Aufderheide, and Claudia Kampmeier).
16. The Impact of Relative Group Status: Affective, Perceptual and Behavioural Consequences. (Naomi Ellemers and Manuela Barreto.
17. Social Justice. Tom R. Tyler).
Part VI: Cultural Influence.
18. Culture and its Implications for Intergroup Behaviour. (Harry C. Triandis and David Trafimow).
19. Acculturation. (Karmela Liebkind).
Part VII: Changing Intergroup Relations.
20. Strategic Collective Action. Social Psychology and Social Change. (Stephen C. Wright).
21.Trust and Intergroup Negotiation. (Roderick M. Kramer and Peter J. Carnevale).
22. Toward Reduction of Prejudice. Intergroup Contact and Social Categorization. (Marilynn B. Brewer and Samuel L Gaertner).
Part VIII: Applications.
23. When and How School Desegregation Improves Intergroup Relations. (Janet W. Schofield and Rebecca Eurich-Fulcer).
24. Addressing and Redressing Discrimination: Affirmative Action in Social Psychological Perspective. (Faye J. Crosby, Bernardo M. Ferdman, and Blanche R. Wingate).
25. Intergroup Relations and National and International Relations. (Thomas F. Pettigrew).
- Provides an authoritative, state of the art overview of the field of intergroup processes.
- Divided into nine major sections on cognition, motivation, emotion, communication and social influence, changing intergroup relations, social comparison, self-identity, methods and applications.
- Written by leading researchers in the field.
- Referenced throughout and include post-chapter annotated bibliographies so readers can access original research articles in order to further their study.