Introduction: Leveraging Your Board’s Leadership Capability (Jay A. Conger).
PART ONE: LEADERSHIP IN YOUR BOARDROOM.
1. Leadership: The Key to Effective Boards (Jay W. Lorsch).
2. Why Your Board Needs a Non-Executive Chair (Jay A. Conger and Edward E. Lawler III).
3. The Joint CEO/Chairperson Leadership Issue in Sharp Relief (Dan R. Dalton and Catherine M. Dalton).
4. First Among Equals: Leading Your Fellow Directors as a Board Chair (Katharina Pick).
PART TWO: TALENT MANAGEMENT PRACTICES FOR YOUR BOARD.
5. Appraising Your Board’s Performance (Jay A. Conger and Edward E. Lawler III).
6. Getting the Right Directors on Your Board (Richard Leblanc).
7. Women Directors in the Boardroom: Adding Value, Making a Difference (Sarah Smith Orr).
8. Your Board’s Crucial Role in Aligning CEO Pay and Performance (Roger W. Raber).
PART THREE: CEO SUCCESSION: THE CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES FACING YOUR BOARD.
9. Managing the CEO’s Succession: The Challenge Facing Your Board (Joseph L. Bower).
10. Beyond Best Practices: Revisiting the Board’s Role in CEO Succession (Mark B. Nadler).
11. Ending the CEO Succession Crisis (Ram Charan).
PART FOUR: IMPROVING YOUR BOARD’S PERFORMANCE AND IMPACT.
12. How Your Board Can Leverage Team Practices for Better Performance (Elise Walton).
13. What Your Board Needs to Know: Early Warning Signs That Provide Insight to What Is Really Going on in Companies (Sydney Finkelstein).
14. Globalizing the Company Board: Lessons from China’s Lenovo (Michael Useem and Neng Liang).
PART FIVE: CONCLUSION.
15. Conventional Wisdom, Conventional Mythology, and the True Character of Board Governance (Jeffrey A. Sonnenfeld and Andrew Ward).