This text is an unbound, binder-ready edition.
Business Statistics: For Contemporary Decision Making, 8th Edition continues the tradition of presenting and explaining the wonders of business statistics through the use of clear, complete, student-friendly pedagogy. Ken Black's text equips readers with the quantitative decision-making skills and analysis techniques they need to make smart decisions based on real-world data.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION
1 Introduction to Statistics 02
2 Charts and Graphs 18
3 Descriptive Statistics 52
4 Probability 98
UNIT II DISTRIBUTIONS AND SAMPLING
5 Discrete Distributions 142
6 Continuous Distributions 184
7 Sampling and Sampling Distributions 224
UNIT III MAKING INFERENCES ABOUT POPULATION PARAMETERS
8 Statistical Inference: Estimation for Single Populations 260
9 Statistical Inference: Hypothesis Testing for Single Populations 298
10 Statistical Inferences About Two Populations 354
11 Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments 414
UNIT IV REGRESSION ANALYSIS AND FORECASTING
12 Simple Regression Analysis and Correlation 476
13 Multiple Regression Analysis 528
14 Building Multiple Regression Models 558
15 Time-Series Forecasting and Index Numbers 608
UNIT V NONPARAMETRIC STATISTICS AND QUALITY
16 Analysis of Categorical Data 664
17 Nonparametric Statistics 688
18 Statistical Quality Control 738
A Tables 783
B Answers to Selected Odd-Numbered Quantitative Problems 823
- NEW Topic in Chapter 6: “Using Probabilities to Solve for the Mean, the Standard Deviation, or an x value in a Normal Distribution”, explaining how to solve problems in which the student is required to use their normal curve skills to work problems “backwards” to find an unknown mean, standard deviation, or x value using the standard normal distribution table.
- NEW Topic in Chapter 9: The more standard and well-known 8-step approach to testing hypotheses is presented, thereby replacing the HTAB system of testing hypotheses.
- UPDATED Thinking Critically about Business Statistics: this feature provides thought-provoking questions to promote application and analysis of business statistics principles.
- UPDATED and NEW Visuals: Graphs, tables, and figures have been added throughout the text to illustrate and underscore concepts.
- NEW Decision Dilemmas: Three new Decision Dilemmas (Chapters 8, 9, and 10) have been added to this edition. New companies featured in these Decision Dilemmas include Valero Energy and L.L. Bean.
- WileyPLUS -WileyPLUS online learning environment features all end-of-chapter problems, author video tutorials, databases, applets, student solutions and Excel Manual for students.
- Decision Dilemma & Decision Dilemma Solved - Chapter-opening vignettes are brief business-world scenarios which use the techniques introduced in the chapter to solve a business decision dilemma; at the end of chapters, dilemmas are addressed to reinforce the chapter concept.
- Ethical Considerations - A feature in each chapter, Ethical Considerations integrate the topic of ethics with applications of business statistics.
- Tree Taxonomy Diagrams - Further illustrate the connection between topics and techniques and the ability to see the big picture of inferential statistics.