Canine Medicine and Therapeutics, 4th Edition
Canine Medicine and Therapeutics, 4th Edition
ISBN: 978-0-632-04045-2 June 1998 Wiley-Blackwell 1104 Pages
Since the previous edition of this text was published there has been a sustained expansion in the knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of the medical diseases that affect the dog. This has been complemented by significantly improved methods to diagnose and manage these diseases. The fourth edition of this textbook has been designed to reflect these many advances and has necessitated a radically different approach from the previous edition. There are now fourteen sections, each with an editor to co-ordinate the chapters in that section. The number of authors contributing to this edition has expanded from twenty-nine to seventy-eight. Each section in the book has been written to give both concise reviews of the subject and a logical approach to the management of the clinical problems. A significant number of tables, flow diagrams and illustrations have been included to assist the clinician in accessing key clinical information.
Table of contents
1. Therapeutics (Jonathan Elliott).
1. Good Prescribing Practice (L. Trepanier and J. Elliott).
2. Decision Making in Fluid therapy (J. Sackman).
3. Nutritional Support of the Critically Ill Patient (A.G. Torrance).
4. Rational Use of Antibacterial Drugs (A.D. J. Atson, J. Elliott and J.E. Maddison).
5. Cytotoxic and Immunosuppressive Drugs (J.M. Dobson).
6. Corticosteroids (A . Nolan).
7. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (P. Lees).
2. Infectious Diseases (Malcolm Bennett).
8. Infectious Gastroenteritis (B.J. Tennant).
9. Canine Parvovirus Infection (I. McCandish).
10. Infectious Canine Hepatitis (H. Thompson).
11. Canine Distemper (H. Thompson).
12. Kennel Cough (I. McCandlish).
13. Canine Filaroidiasis (I. McCandlish).
14. Aspergillosis and Penicillinosis (N.J. Sharp).
15. Canine Laptospirosis (M. Bennett).
16. Canine Rabies (P.-P Pastoret, B. Brochier and H. Bourhy).
17. Infections of Reproduction and Neonates (C.E. Greene).
18. Canine Papillomas (M. Bennet).
19. Tetanus (B.J. Tennant).
20. Tuberculosis (M. Bennett).
21. Lyme Disease (S.D. Carter).
22. Tularaemia (S. Barr).
23. Canine Rickettsiosis (Z. Woldehiwet).
24. Deep Mycoses (S. Barr).
25. Protothecosis (J. Taboada).
26. Neosporosis and Toxoplasmosis (J. S. Barber and A. J. Trees).
27. Miscellaneous Protozoal Diseases (S. Barr).
28. Heartworm Disease (S. Barr).
29. Canine Zoonosis (M. Bennett and C.A. Hart).
30. Vaccination (M. Bennett and C.A. Hart).
3. Interpretation and Misinterpretation of Laboratory Data (Richard A. Squires).
31. Avoiding Misinterpretation of Clinical Laboratory Data (R.A. Squires).
4. Haematology, Oncology, Immunological Disease (Jane M. Dobson).
32. The Haematopioetic System: The Structure and Function of Bone Marrow (L. Blackwood and E. J. Villiers).
33. Anaemia (J.K. Dunn).
34. Polycythaemia (J.K. Dunn).
35. Lymphoproliferative and Myeloproliferative Disease (J. S. Morris and J.M. Dobson).
36. Bleeding Disorders (A. Mackin).
37. Fever of Unknown Origin (J.K. Dunn).
38. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (J.K. Dunn).
5. Cardiopulmonary Diseases (Virginia Luis Fuentes).
39. Clinical Investigation of Respiratory Disease (B. Corcoran).
40. Nasal Discharge in the Dog (M.Sullivan).
41. Obstructive Upper Airway Disease (M. Sullivan).
42. Tracheobronchial Diseases (B. Corcoran and M. Sullivan).
43. Lung Parenchymal Diseases (B. Corcoran).
44. Pleural and Mediastinal Diseases (B. Corcoran).
45. Cardiac Disease (V. Luis Fuentes).
46. Congenital Heart Disease (M. Cobb).
47. Acquired Heart Disease (M. Cobb).
6. Gastroenterology (Kenny W. Simpson).
48. Oropharyngeal an Oesophageal Diseases (R. J. Washabau).
49.Diseases of the Stomach (R.C. DeNovo, Jr and C.C. Jenkins).
50. Small Intestinal Disease (E.J. Hall).
51. The Large Intestine (C.M. Elwood).
52. The Liver (E. Sevelius and L. Jonsson).
53. Diseases of the Exocrine Pancreas (K.W. Simpson).
7. Diseases of the Endocrine System (Michael E. Harrtage).
54. Endocrine Physiology and Function Testing (M.E. Herrtage).
55. Management of Pituitary Disorders (M.E. Herrtage).
56. Diagnosis of Hypothyroidism (C.Scot-Moncrieff).
57. Disorders of Calcium Metabolism (F.P. Gaschen).
58. Management of Hyperadrenocorticism (P.P. Kintzer and M.E. Peterson).
59. Diagnosis of Hyperadrenocorticism (M.E. Peterson and P.P. Kintzer).
60. Management of Diabetes Mellitus (M.E. Herrtage).
61. Diagnosis of Insulinoma (M.E. Herrtage).
8. Urology (Jonathan Elliott and Neil T. Gorman).
62. Renal Failure (R.A. Squires, J. Elliott and S. Brown).
63. Enlarged Kidneys (A.G. Torrance).
64. Haematuria (A.G. Torrance).
65. Proteinuria (P.J. Barber).
66. Dysuria (J.C.R. Scot-Moncrieff).
67. Management of Bacteria Urinary Tract Infections (J. Elliott).
68. Canine Urolithiasis (D.F. Senior and J. Elliott).
69. Urinary Incontinence (S.P. Gregory).
9. Reproductive Disorders (Jonathan Elliott and Neil T. Gorman).
70. Vaginal Discharge (H.K. Dreier).
71. Canine Infertility (H.K. Dreier).
72. Conditions of the Male External Genital System (D.E. Noakes).
73. Diagnosis and Management of Canine Prostatic Disease (N.T. Gorman).
10. Skeletal Disorders (Chris May).
74. Introduction to Joint Diseases (C. May).
75. Osteoarthritis (A.R. Coughlan).
76. Inflammatory Arthropatheis (C.May and D. Bennett).
77. Bone Diseases (H.A.Q. Hizewinkel).
78. Skeletal Neoplasia (T.J. Anderson).
11. Neurology and Neuromuscular Disorders (Chris May).
79. Seizures and Behavioural Change (A. Hopkins).
80. Altered Consciousness (Stupor and Coma) (A. Hopkins).
81. Ataxia, Weakness and Paralysis of the Pelvic Limbs (A.Hopkins).
82. Ataxia, Weakness and Paralysis of all four Limbs (A. Hopkins).
83. Monoparesis and Monoplegia (A. Hopkins).
84. Ataxia of the Head and Limbs (Cerebellar Disase)A. Hopkins).
85. Cranial Nerve Abnormalities (A. Hopkins).
12. Dermatology (Richard Harvey).
86. Superficial Bacterial Infections (I.S. Mason).
87. Superficial Fungal Infections (R. Bond).
88. Deep Pyoderma (M.J. Day and D.H. Shearer).
89. Treatment of Pyoderma (M.W. Vroom).
90. Clinical Approach to Pruritus in the Dog (P.B. Hill).
91. The Diagnosis and Management of Allergic Skin Disease (J.I. Henfrey).
92. Fleas, Flea Bite Hypersensitivity and Flea Control: An Update (M.A. Fisher).
93. Current Methods of Mite and Tick Control in the Dog (C.F. Curtis).
94. Advances in the Diagnosis of Canine Endocrine Dermatosesz (D. Heripret).
95. Treatment of Defects in Cornification of Canine Skin (A.H. Werner).
96. Neoplasia of the Skin and Associated Tissues (N.T. Gorman and J.M. Dobson).
13. Ophthalmology (Simon Peterson-Jones).
97. Introduction to the Ocular System (S. Peterson-Jones).
98. Conditions of the Globe and Orbit (K. Abrams and C. Goodwin).
99. Conditions of the Eyelids (K. Abrams and C. Goodwin).
100. Conditions of the Ocular Surface (P. Renwick).
101. Conditions of the Anterior Uvea (N.J. Millichamp).
102. Glaucoma (N.J. Millichamp).
103. Conditions of the Lens (N.J. Millichamp).
104. Conditions of the Vitreous (S. Peterson-Jones).
105. Conditions of the Fundus (S. Petersen-Jones).
106. Neuro-Ophthalmology (S. Peterson-Jones).
14. Poisons (Katie Dunn).
107. Poisons (K. Dunn).
Index of Featured Conditions Related to breeds in this Edition.
* world class team of contributors
* in full colour, with numerous tables and illustrations
* essential for all small animal practitioners
* totally comprehensive: 14 sections incorporating 107 chapters by 79 experts from Britain, Europe, North America and Australasia