1. Cells and Tissues.
2. From Water to DNA: The Chemistry of Life.
3. Membranes and Organelles.
4. DNA Structure and the Genetic Code.
5. DNA As A Data Storage Medium.
6. Transcription and the Control of Gene Expression.
7. Recombinant DNA and Genetic Engineering.
8. Manufacturing Protein.
9. Protein Structure.
10. Intracellular Protein Trafficking.
11. How Proteins Work.
12. Energy Trading Within the Cell.
14. Ions and Voltages.
15. The Action Potential.
16. Intracellular Signaling.
17. Intercellular Communication.
18. Mechanical Molecules.
19. Cell Cycle and the Control of Cell Number.
20. Case Study: Cystic Fibrosis.
Appendix: Channels and Carriers.
- A unified presentation of cell biology in both medicine and industry with extensive cross-referencing.
- Copious illustrations that make course material clear and easy to understand.
- Numerous boxed inserts tie concepts to real-world research and developments in medicine and industry.
- A detailed, complete description of intercellular signaling.
- A full case study using the example of cystic fibrosis.
- Review questions with answers at the end of each chapter, plus a full glossary of key words and phrases.