Chemical, Biochemical, and Engineering Thermodynamics, 4th Edition
DescriptionWith the newly revised fourth edition of Chemical and Engineering Thermodynamics, readers find a modern, applied approach to thermodynamics. The material is presented in sufficient detail that provides a solid understanding of the key principles in the field. And current information is included on environmental and safety issues and how chemical engineering principles are used in biotechnology, polymers, and solid-state-processing.
- Division/reorganization from 9 chapters in the 3rd edition to 15 chapters in the 4th edition introduces students to the subject in more bite-size pieces.
- Instructional Objectives at the start of each chapter guide students to what he or she is to master in that chapter.
- Nomenclature list at the start of each chapter gives students a quick reference guide to what is new for each chapter, as many find the nomenclature of thermodynamics to be difficult.
- “Practical Considerations”, some brief introductions and simple examples of the applications of thermodynamics students will see later in their studies help them appreciate how thermodynamics is central to the practice of chemical engineering.
- Answers to Selected Problems from each chapter are included in the back of the book.
- More emphasis is placed on helping students choose the appropriate thermodynamic model for their separation and design courses, and in the use of process simulators.
- Chapter 10 includes brief descriptions of the types of laboratory equipment used to measure fluid phase equilibria, so students will have a better idea of how such data are obtained.
- A number of biochemical examples appear in chapters 11 and 12, and elsewhere in this edition.
- A brief introduction to the new field of product engineering is included in Chapter 12.
- Chapter 15, Biochemical Applications of Thermodynamics.
The worksheets and programs previously available have been updated to Windows versions that are easier to use and have greater capabilities. Several MATLAB programs have also been added.
- Realistic problems familiarize students with the types of challenges they will encounter in industry and graduate research.
- Introduction of environmental and safety applications of thermodynamics provides course material required for ABET accreditation.
- Web based problems sets. Students can visit the text's web site to download problem sets and solve equations using programs such as MATHCAD®.
- SI units are used throughout the text