Jespersen’s Chemistry 7th Edition provides readers with the necessary practice, support, instruction and assessment that is required for learning and teaching the content of a General Chemistry course. This text provides the forum for problem solving and concept mastery of chemical phenomena that leads to proficiency and success. The Seventh Edition includes revisions to key content coverage areas and concepts and the addition of more Analyzing & Solving Multi-Concept problems and examples throughout the text. An increased emphasis has also been placed on the intimate relationship that exists between structure at the submicroscopic molecular level and the observable macroscopic properties of matter. Jespersen provides readers with a clear, concise and easy to understand General Chemistry resource.
Chapter 0: A Very Brief History of Chemistry
Chapter 1: Scientific Measurements
Chapter 2: Elements, Compounds, and the Periodic Table
Chapter 3: The Mole and Stoichiometry
Chapter 4: Molecular View of Reactions in Aqueous Solutions
Chapter 5: Oxidation Reduction Reactions
Chapter 6: Energy and Chemical Change
Chapter 7: The Quantum Mechanical Atom
Chapter 8: The Basics of Chemical Bonding
Chapter 9: Theories of Bonding and Structure
Chapter 10: Properties of Gases
Chapter 11: Intermolecular Attractions and the Properties of Liquids and Solids
Chapter 12: Mixtures at the Molecular Level: Properties of Solutions
Chapter 13: Chemical Kinetics
Chapter 14: Chemical Equilibrium
Chapter 15: Acids and Bases, A Molecular Look
Chapter 16: Acid–Base Equilibria in Aqueous Solutions
Chapter 17: Solubility and Simultaneous Equilibria
Chapter 18: Thermodynamics
Chapter 19: Electrochemistry
Chapter 20: Nuclear Reactions and Their Role in Chemistry
Chapter 21: Metal Complexes
Chapter 22: Organic Compounds, Polymers, and Biochemicals
- Chapter Openers include more real-world relevance/connections
- New Chapter 0 provides optional “refresher” information for students about the history of chemistry: coverage of the elements, atomic structure, and theory.
- New Analyzing & Solving Multi-Concept problems and examples have been added throughout the text. These problem and examples are also now briefer and more concise.
- New Learning Objectives have been added to provide an outline at the beginning of each chapter.
- New End-of-Chapter Summaries review key chapter concepts, also organized by Learning Objectives.
- WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is packed with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to give your students more value for their money.
- WileyPLUS is now equipped with an adaptive learning module called ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION, provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience so they can build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. WileyPLUS with ORION helps students learn by learning about them.
- Analyzing and Solving Multi-Concept Problems
- Four-step problem solving framework: “Analysis”, “Solution”, “Assembling the Tools”, and “Is the Answer Reasonable?”
- Tools for Problem Solving – basic skills are presented as tools (marked by icons) that can be combined in a variety of ways to solve complex problems
- End of chapter problems feature more visuals/molecular structures and provide a wide range of difficulty.