List of Boxes.
1. Encountering Cities of Whiteness.
Journeying to Inner Sydney.
Cities as Cultural Constructions - Gentrification and Urbanism.
The Birth of Whiteness Scholarship.
Cities of Neo-colonial Whiteness.
2. (Post)colonial Sydney.
From Dangerous to Endangered City.
Securing Whiteness in the Paradoxical City.
3. 'The Good Old Days'.
Performing Sydney Heritage.
Architectures of Escape 1: Into the Past.
4. Cosmopolitan Metropolitanism (Or The Indifferent City).
Manhattan Dreaming (in Sydney Australia).
Architectures of Escape 2: Sydney's SoHo Syndrome.
5. Cities of Whiteness.
Geographies of Urban Whiteness.
The End of (Cities of) Whiteness?
- A thought-provoking contribution to debates about urban change, race and cosmopolitan urbanism
- Brings the study of whiteness to the discipline of geography, questioning the notion of white ethnicity
- Engages with Indigenous peoples’ experiences of whiteness – past and present, and with theoretical postcolonial perspectives
- Uses Sydney as an example of a 'city of whiteness', considering trends such as Sydney’s 'SoHo Syndrome' and the 'Harlemisation' of the Aboriginal community