Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Climate Change: Causes, Effects, and Solutions
Energy and Climate Change: Creating a Sustainable Future (Hardcover $197.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
1. Earth and the Greenhouse Effect.
The Greenhouse Effect.
Large-Scale Heat Re-Distribution.
2. Past Climate Change: Lessons From History.
Past Climate Change – Six Historic Periods.
Methods of Determining Past Climates and Ecosystems.
Rapid Climate Change.
Lessons of Past Climate Change.
3. Recent Climate Change: The Earth Responds.
Water Vapor and Precipitation.
Cloud and Temperature Ranges.
Ocean Circulation Patterns.
Snow and Ice.
Sea Level Rise.
4. Future Climate Change: The 21st Century and Beyond.
Global Climate Models.
Feedback Loops and Uncertainties.
Scenario-Based Climate Predictions.
Regional Climates and Extreme Events.
The Persistence of a Warmer Earth.
Section II: Ecological Effects on Climate Change.
5. Effects on Freshwater Systems.
Surface and Groundwater.
Drought and Soil Moisture.
Lake Biota and Stream Biota.
6. Effects on Terrestrial Systems.
Geographic Shifts in Terrestrial Habitats.
Effects of Disturbances.
Loss of Biodiversity.
Implications for Forest Management and Conservation Policy.
7. Effects on Agriculture.
Effects of Agriculture on Climate Change.
Effects of Climate Change on Agriculture.
8. Effects on the Marine Environment.
Sea Level Rise.
Ocean Currents and Circulation.
Section III: Human Dimensions of Climate Change.
9. Effects on Human Infrastructure.
Extreme Climatic Events.
10. Effects on Human Health.
Direct Effects of Heat Stress.
Interactions and Secondary Effects.
11. Mitigation: Reducing the Impacts.
Capture or Sequester Carbon Emissions.
Reduce Global Warming or Its Effects by Geo-engineering.
Enhance Natural Carbon Sinks.
Convert to Carbon-Free and Renewable Energy Technologies.
Conserve Energy and Use It More Efficiently.
Adapt to Climate Change.
12. Policy, Politics and Economics.
International Cooperation – From Montreal to Kyoto.
Meeting Kyoto Targets.
The Politics of Climate Change.
Kyoto Without the United States.
Benefits and Costs of Mitigating Climate Change.
The Future – What is Needed?
Appendix A: Units.
Appendix B: Abreviations and Chemical Symbols.
Appendix C: Websites on Climate Change.
- Global coverage of a global issue - case studies are taken from North America, Europe and Australasia.