1. Capstones and Organisms.
2. A Curious Stability.
3. An Absolute Collapse.
4. State Power and Patterns of Late Development (written with Ding-Xin Zhao).
5. Consolidations of Democracy.
6. Nationalisms, Classified and Explained.
7. Will the United States Decline as Britain did?.
8. The Weary Titan? Arms and Empire, 1870-1913.
Conclusion: The State of Post-Modernism.
* In particular, the book examines the form and character of capitalism, war, late development, civil society and the causes and collapse of socialism. The author also addresses the revival of nationalism and the possibilities of democratization.
* This book combines historical insight with sustained political and social analysis.