DescriptionThis latest edition of Coloring of Plastics: Fundamentals offers an updated introduction to color as a science while also providing the foundation for many additional technological subjects. The basic families of colorants are described, along with their properties. The material examines how statistical analysis can improve the consistency of colored polymer production runs as well as the colorants used to match the color.
Other important topics covered in Coloring of Plastics: Fundamentals, Second Edition include:
- Environmental issues and the reuse of discarded material
- Potential problems with the interaction between colorants and other additives
- Measurement information and matching, visually and instrumentally
- Techniques for incorporating colorants into polymers as compounds or concentrates
- Special effect colorants
1. Introduction (Robert A. Charvat).
2. Color as a Science (William R. Mathew and Cathy J. Hanlin).
3. Colorimetry, Color Specifications, and Production Tolerances by Visual and Instrumental Means (Danny C. Rich, et al.)
4. Advanced Color Formulation Technology (Robert Olmsted).
5. Visual Color Matching of Plastic Materials (Frances A. Leiby).
6. Iso 9000 and Other ISO Standards, Guides, and Test Procedures (Charles T. Bradshaw).
7. Introduction to Colorants (Robert A. Charvat).
8. Organic Colorants (Peter A. Lewis).
9. Inorganic Colored Pigments (George Rangos).
10. Titanium Dioxide Pigments (Dwight A. Holtzen and Austin H. Reid).
11. Carbon Black Pigments (Scott A. Brewer).
12. Soluble Dyes (Craig Weadon and Walter Martin).
13. Photochromic and Thermochromic Colorants (John J. Luthern).
14. Metallic Pigments (Bernhard Klein and Hans-Henning Bunge).
15. Pearlescent Pigments/Flakes (Gerhard Pfaff and Joachim Weitzel).
16. Fluorescence (Christopher Newbacher).
17. Introduction to Colorant Selection and Application Technology (Dennis I. Meade).
18. Color Compounding (Scott D. Russell).
19. Dry Color Concentrate Manufacture (Joseph M. Cameron).
20. Liquid Color Concentrates (Richard L. Abrams).
21. Use of Color Concentrates (Scott D. Russell and Ralph A. Itelfer).
22. Product Testing (Ronald Harris).
23. Effect of Additives On Coloring Plastics (Bruce M. Mulholland).
24. Recycling (Jack W. Blakeman).
25. The Environment and Government Regulations (Patrick Surgeon).
26. Use Of Statistics in the Coloring of Plastics (Thomas V. Edwards).
"This book is recommended for research and special libraries with chemical engineering and material science collections." (E-STREAMS, July 2004)