This best-selling, easy-to-read, communication systems text has been extensively revised to include the most exhaustive treatment of digital communications in an undergraduate level text. In addition to being the most up-to-date communications text available, Simon Haykin has added MATLAB computer experiments.
Intended for use in the Communication Systems course in the Electrical Engineering core curriculum. This course is typically offered at the junior/senior level in electrical engineering departments at the majority of four year colleges and universities that have electrical engineering programs. The introductory course in communication systems is required for electrical engineering majors. This text will also appeal to a small segment of the professional engineering market.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: Communication Systems, 4th Edition
An Introduction to Analog and Digital Communications, 2nd Edition (Hardcover $236.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
Baseband Pulse Transmission.
Passband Digital Transmission.
Multiuser Radio Communications.
Fundamental Limits in Information Theory.
- New chapter on signal-space analysis.
- New chapter on multi-user radio communications, including budget link calculations.
- Single chapter covering analog communication systems, including the effects of channel noise.
- Introduction of the following topics:
- Digital subscriber lines.
- Carrierless amplitude/phase (CAP) modulation.
- Discrete multitone (DMT) modulation.
- Discrete-time synchronization systems for carrier-recovery and bit-timing.
- Rake receiver for CFMA wireless communications.
- Adaptive antenna arrays for wireless communications.
- Turbo codes and low density parity-check codes.
- The most modern and up-to-date treatment of Communication Systems. Simon Haykin has revised the only undergraduate text book on the market that emphasizes the statistical underpinnings of communication theory in a complete and detailed manner.
- Great emphasis on Digital Communications. Without neglecting coverage of analog communications, the author has included coverage of emerging technologies, for example digital subscriber lines (DSL), carrierless amplitude modulation/phase modulation (CAP), and discrete multi-tone (DMT). It should be noted that this is the first time such extensive coverage is being made available at the undergraduate level.
- Organization of text and easy-to-read writing style. As reviewers have mentioned, one of the strengths of this text is the author's easy-to-read writing style and its superb organization. Students will benefit from the text's abundance of examples illustrating different aspects of theory and its broad coverage of communication systems.
- MATLAB Computer Exercises. The text offers the use of MATLAB in a software laboratory for demonstrating important aspects of communication theory.
- What reviewers are saying...
- "This is an extremely well-written book."
- "The flow is good...and the level of presentation is appropriate."
- "The most logical and compelling method of presentation of the fundamental issues."
- "The exercises are very well done."