DescriptionBuildings don't just appear. While the aesthetics and theory of architecture have their glamour, architecture would not exist without the hands-on, nuts-and-bolts process of construction. Construction of Architecture gives architects, contractors, managers, trade workers, and anyone else involved in a building project a thorough overview of the process of taking or converting a fine design concept from a paper exercise to a finished, full-sized, occupiable and usable building.
In an easy-to-read, conversational style, Ralph Liebing distills the often-complex procedures in the construction of architecture into clear, understandable phases. Connecting each phase to the next, he takes you step-by-step from project inception and documentation to code compliance to bidding and the contract through finalization of the project and occupancy of the completed building.
This book is enhanced with features such as:
- Drawings and photographs of the building process.
- Samples of documents used in construction.
- A concise narrative of the construction of a typical commercial building, from start to finish.
- An Instructor Companion Site with an expanded glossary and additional resources.
With this primer in hand, every aspiring building professional will have the solid foundation in the concepts and skills needed to bring any building project to fruition, from inception to occupancy.
1. Introduction and Context.
2. Project Inception and Determination.
3. Resolution and Design.
4. Selection, Incorporation, and Documentation.
5. The Documents and Code Compliance.
6. Bidding, Award, and Contract.
7. Constructing, Erecting, and Installing.
8. Refinement and Enhancement.
9. Completion and Occupancy.
10. Post Occupancy.
Appendix: Trade Associations.
Concise guide to the technical management of building construction - the perfect introduction to the industry and its processes
Illustrated throughout with drawings and documents used in construction, and photographs of the building process, to give a real-world understanding of the topics covered
Presents the construction of a typical commercial building, from start to finish, in a concise and easy-to-follow narrative
Perfect for construction management students, covering planning, documentation, delivery systems, management, and more