2. Marx and Western Marxism.
3. Life Philosophy and the Unconscious.
7. Existentialism and Philosophical Anthropology.
9. Philosophies of Dispersion.
10. French Feminist Philosophy.
Richard Schacht, University of Illinois
“This is an enormously impressive work. In the fashion of a panoramic mosaic, it assembles incisive analyses of the host of thinkers who comprise the ‘Continental Tradition’ in philosophy. Like no other book before it, it succeeds not only in helping us to understand the past, but also defines an array of future tasks that those working in this field will have to address.”
Frithjof Bergmann, University of Michigan
“Schroeder captures Continental philosophy's complex trajectory in clear and thoughtful language. Along the way, he offers provocative challenges to many of its central figures.”
Todd May, Clemson University
- Offers a lucid and wide-ranging introduction to the key figures and philosophical movements of the 19th and 20th century.
- Includes chapters on Hegel, Marx and Western Marxism, Schopenhauer and Freud and Bergson, Nietzsche, hermeneutics, phenomenology, existentialism, structuralism, poststructuralism, French feminism, and postmodernism.
- Provides an ideal text or background resource for many different introductory and advanced courses on modern European philosophy.