1. Oliver Cromwell, the Regicide and the Sons of Zeruiah (John Morrill, University of Cambridge and Philip Baker, Associate Editor, The New Dictionary of National Biography).
2. Oliver Cromwell and the Sin of Achan (Blair Worden, University of Sussex).
3. The Cromwellian Protectorate: A Military Dictatorship? (Austin Woolrych, University of Lancaster).
4. 'The Single Person's Confidants and Dependents'? Oliver Cromwell and his Protectoral Councilors (Peter Gaunt, University College, Chester).
5. Oliver Cromwell and the Localities: The Problem of Consent (Anthony Fletcher).
6. Cromwell’s Religion (Colin Davis, University of East Anglia).
7. Oliver Cromwell, the First Protectorate Parliament and Religious Reform (David L. Smith, University of Cambridge).
8. Cromwell, Scotland and Ireland (David Stevenson, University of St. Andrews).
--Ian Gentles, Glendon College, Toronto
"This collection of important articles on the 1650s will be a boon to everyone interested in discovering more about the history of the Commonwealth and Protectorate, as will the editor's introduction, which is a splendid guide to many important themes of the history of that period."
--Barry Coward, Birkbeck College, London
- Illuminates the personality of Cromwell and his achievements.
- Includes treatments of Ireland and Scotland alongside discussion of England.
- Editorial material introduces students to the historiographical issues.