Part I: Individual Authenticity:.
1. Authenticity and Art.
2. Authenticity and Music.
3. Seeking Authenticity in Travel and Adventure.
4. The Commodification of Authenticity.
5. Authenticity and the Self.
Part II: Collective Authenticity:.
6. Authentic Cuisine and National Identity.
7. Authentic Dance and National Identity.
8. Modes of Authenticity in the Nation-State.
9. Israel and Authentic Jewish Identity.
10. Authenticity On the Margins.
11. Afterword: The Anthropology of Authenticity.
"This reviewer found an interesting, entertaining, and easy-to-read discussion of the various forms and conceptions of 'authenticity.'" (CHOICE)
- Examines the idea of authenticity and its role in modern culture
- Explores society’s preoccupation with authenticity and the search for ‘real’ experiences
- Looks at how the concept of authenticity intersects with questions about religion, ethnicity, and race
- Investigates authenticity in the context of fields such as dance, cuisine, travel, and the modern marketplace