Designed to support and facilitate the new era of research into bioterrorism threats and biodefense, as well as post-genomic experimental research initiatives, Current Protocols in Microbiology is the first comprehensive source of high-quality microbiology protocols for researchers that reflects and incorporates the new mandates and capabilities of this rapidly evolving discipline. The single-volume resource:
- Provides clear methodologies for research in priority areas such as biodefense, emerging and neglected infectious diseases, microbe-host interactions, and host defense.
- Incorporates functional genomics tools like nucleic acid and protein microarrays and high-throughput mass-spectrometry, that can measure global changes in both agent and host during infection.
- Details bench-based and computational approaches that will identify new targets for drug therapies and a new generation of antimicrobial agents and chemotherapies.
- Presents promising genomic and proteomic approaches to the study of microbial pathogenesis amid concerns over the increased incidence of antimicrobial-resistant pathogenic microorganisms.
- Includes protocols for research on animal and plant viruses