Data Analysis and Presentation Skills: An Introduction for the Life and Medical Sciences
DescriptionData Analysis and Presentation Skills: An Introduction for the Life and Medical Sciences is an invaluable text allowing students to develop appropriate key skills when designing experiments, generating results, analysing data and ultimately presenting findings to academics and referees. Taking a hands-on approach, each of these key areas is introduced clearly and carefully, showing how to access and evaluate information using a variety of resources.
Basic analytical theory is gradually introduced alongside practical applications to enhance student understanding. The reader is shown how to present data in charts using Microsoft Excel and statistical analysis is carefully explained showing clearly how to manipulate data in spreadsheets and analyse the results using commonly used tests. A section is also included on the use of PowerPoint as well as giving advice on how to prepare a short talk or seminar.
- Includes numerous relevant examples and case studies drawn from the Life Sciences
- Guidance on how to complete and present practical and project work through to postgraduate dissertation.
- Clear step-by-step introduction to Microsoft Excel, presentation skills and statistical analysis.
- Invaluable for all students within the Life and Medical Sciences
1. Working in theWindows Environment.
1.1 Basic computing terms.
1.2 Working inWindows.
1.3 General functions in Microsoft applications.
2. Researching and Planning Scientific Investigations.
2.1 Sources of information.
2.2 Experimental design.
3. Presenting Scientific Data.
3.1 An Introduction to Microsoft Excel.
3.2 Presenting graphs and charts.
4. Preliminary Data Analysis.
4.1 Descriptive statistics.
4.2 Frequency distributions .
4.3 Correlation and linear regression
5. Statistical Analysis.
5.1 Selecting a statistical test.
5.2 Statistical tests for two samples.
5.3 Analysis of variance.
5.4 The Chi-squared test.
6. Presentational Skills.
6.1 Preparing for seminars.
6.2 Using Microsoft PowerPoint.
6.3 Poster presentations.
Alt key codes for special symbols in Microsoft applications.
- A hands-on approach introducing essential ICT skills
- Introduces fundamental theory alongside practical applications to enhance student understanding
- Includes numerous relevant examples and case studies relevant to students within the biosciences