DescriptionEssential information on how to protect data in virtual environments!
Virtualization is changing the data center architecture and as a result, data protection is is quickly evolving as well. This unique book, written by an industry expert with over eighteen years of data storage/backup experience, shows you how to approach, protect, and manage data in a virtualized environment. You'll get up to speed on data protection problems, explore the data protection technologies available today, see how to adapt to virtualization, and more. The book uses a "good, better, best" approach, exploring best practices for backup, high availability, disaster recovery, business continuity, and more.
- Covers best practices and essential information on protecting data in virtualized enterprise environments
- Shows you how to approach, protect, and manage data while also meeting such challenges as return on investment, existing service level agreements (SLAs), and more
- Helps system and design architects understand data protection issues and technologies in advance, so they can design systems to meet the challenges
- Explains how to make absolutely critical services such as file services and e-mail more available without sacrificing protection
- Offers best practices and solutions for backup, availability, disaster recovery, and others
This is a must-have guide for any Windows server and application administrator who is charged with data recovery and maintaining higher uptimes.
Chapter 1 What Kind of Protection Do You Need? 1
Chapter 2 Data Protection by the Numbers 19
Chapter 3 The Layers of Data Protection 43
Chapter 4 Better Backups 75
Chapter 5 File Services 143
Chapter 6 Windows Clustering . 183
Chapter 7 Microsoft Exchange 221
Chapter 8 Microsoft SQL Server 267
Chapter 9 Virtualization 317
Chapter 10 Management and Deployment 353
Chapter 11 Monitoring Systems 411
Chapter 12 Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery 443
Appendix Links and Resources 485