Dead End Feminism
Dead End Feminism
ISBN: 978-0-745-63380-0 March 2006 Polity 136 Pages
A huge bestseller in France, this book will be essential reading for anyone interested in the changing relations between the sexes and our ways of thinking about sex and gender today.
Table of contents
1. The New Discourse on Method.
The logic of amalgamation.
The abuse of power.
The myth of a domesticated sexuality.
The model of female sexuality.
When everyone thinks they are the victim of the other.
When the law of difference reigns.
Times Literary Supplement
"This book is an event. Elisabeth Badinter is one of the intellectuals who has worked tirelessly to build the theoretical edifice which has nourished French feminism. For thirty years she has been part of the women’s liberation movement, without ever belonging to any of its cliques. Now she protests forcefully against the way it has evolved."
"In Dead End Feminism, Elisabeth Badinter attacks the new moral order that certain proponents of feminism have claimed to establish in the last couple of decades. Having provided French feminism with its most solid intellectual foundations, she knows what she’s talking about. Parity, pornography, prostitution, sexual harassment: Badinter carries out a veritable demolition of received ideas in a vigorous and well argued work."
"With her cutting intelligence and devastating turn of phrase, Elisabeth Badinter will make the guardians of the faith grit their teeth. She runs the risk of betraying her camp; but it is her camp that has betrayed the cause of emancipation, which is the real concern of both women and men."
Le Nouvel Observateur
- In this important and provocative new book, France’s leading feminist theorist claims that feminism may had come to a dead end.
- Offers a compelling critique of the latest feminist theories.
- Likely to attract great attention due to its stand-point and criticism of current feminist debates.
- This book will be an invaluable and engaging contribution to the current literature on feminism.