List of Maps and Figures.
1. What are the Dead Sea Scrolls?.
2. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible.
3. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Essenes.
4. An Essene Community at Qumran.
5. The Dead Sea Scrolls and Judaism.
6. Christianity Reconsidered.
7. Controversy and Conspiracy.
Praise for the First Edition:
"Without being sensational, of all the popular introductions on the market this one explains best how revolutionary the discovery of the Scrolls really was."– Professor P. R. Davies, in Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
"In Deciphering the Dead Sea Scrolls, Jonathan Campbell, an established expert on Qumran, has written for students and the general reader a clear, well researched, balanced and highly informative account of the discovery of the Scrolls, the debates surrounding them, and their significance for a better understanding of ancient Judaism and the beginnings of Christianity." – Professor G. Vermes, author of The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English
- Introduces the Qumran Scrolls to the uninitiated general reader.
- Explains how revolutionary the discovery of the Scrolls was and their enduring significance.
- Sets the Scrolls within the wider context of Jewish history and religion of the second temple period.
- Now expanded to include additional material about the scrolls themselves and recent theories about the community behind them.