DescriptionPraise for the First Edition
"This is the most usable decision support systems text. [i]t is far better than any other text in the field" —Computing Reviews
Computer-based systems known as decision support systems (DSS) play a vital role in helping professionals across various fields of practice understand what information is needed, when it is needed, and in what form in order to make smart and valuable business decisions. Providing a unique combination of theory, applications, and technology, Decision Support Systems for Business Intelligence, Second Edition supplies readers with the hands-on approach that is needed to understand the implications of theory to DSS design as well as the skills needed to construct a DSS.
This new edition reflects numerous advances in the field as well as the latest related technological developments. By addressing all topics on three levels—general theory, implications for DSS design, and code development—the author presents an integrated analysis of what every DSS designer needs to know. This Second Edition features:
Expanded coverage of data mining with new examples
Newly added discussion of business intelligence and transnational corporations
Discussion of the increased capabilities of databases and the significant growth of user interfaces and models
Emphasis on analytics to encourage DSS builders to utilize sufficient modeling support in their systems
A thoroughly updated section on data warehousing including architecture, data adjustment, and data scrubbing
Explanations and implications of DSS differences across cultures and the challenges associated with transnational systems
Decision Support Systems for Business Intelligence, Second Edition is an excellent book for courses on information systems, decision support systems, and data mining at the advanced undergraduate and graduate levels. It also serves as a practical reference for professionals working in the fields of business, statistics, engineering, and computer technology.
Chapter 1. Introduction.
Chapter 2. Decision Making.
II. DSS Components.
Chapter 3. The Data Component.
Chapter 4. The Model Component.
Chapter 4S. Intelligence and Decision Support Systems.
Chapter 5. The User Interface.
III. Issues of Design.
Chapter 6. International Decision Support Systems.
Chapter 7. Designing a Decision Support System.
Chapter 8. Object Oriented Technologies and Decision Support Systems Design.
Chapter 9. Implementation Strategy.
IV. Extension of Decision Support Systems.
Chapter 10. Executive Systems and Dashboards.
Chapter 11. Group Decision Support Systems.
- Updated to reflect the advances in technology over the past ten years, including the capabilities and uses of databases and the significant growth of user interfaces and models
"Providing a unique combination of theory, applications, and technology, Decision Support Systems for Business Intelligence, Second Edition supplies readers with the hands-on approach that is needed to understand the implications of theory to DSS design as well as the skills needed to construct a DSS." (News Blaze, 28 February 2011)
- Reflects the advances in technology over the past ten years, including the capabilities and uses of databases and the significant growth of user interfaces and models
- Provides a hands-on approach that shows the relationship among the underlying theory, the implications of theory to DSS design, and the actual coding of DSS
- Highlights how applications may vary from country to country due to language and cultural differences and illustrates some of the challenges associated with transnational systems
- Presents a practical orientation that helps both practitioners and students understand how to incorporate their ideas into the business environment
- Provides a link between the theoretical and the practical and from models and data to model support and data support
- Focuses on how a reader should use what has been previously learned in programming and modeling courses to develop systems that provide decision support