2. Action Groups in Regional Focus.
3. Macroeconomic Decline and Action Groups.
4. Democracy and Indigenous Peoples.
5. Environmental Protection.
6. Women and Empowerment.
7. Islamist Action Groups.
"A useful introduction to the study of civil societies in the Third World and as such, will almost certainly be added to reading lists on university courses on Third World politics and democratisation studies." Journal of Development Studies
* Examines the widespread emergence of popular movements in Latin America, Africa and Asia, arguing that these groups developed from a growing interest in democratic change during the 1980s and 1990s.
* A systematic survey of new forms of protest and political action: a vital resource for students of Third World Politics.