1. What is Democracy? Some Traditional Answers.
2. Are Modern Western Societies Democratic?.
3. New Technology and Democracy.
4. What New Technology can do for Direct Democracy.
5. What New Technology can do for Representative Democracy.
Glossary of Technical Terms.
'McLean's book is intelligent, well written and well informed.' THES
1. Assesses the impact of new technology on the democratic process, and asks whether new procedures make or could make our social choices more or less democratic. 2. Reports on the latest in hi-tech campaigning in the UK, Europe and the US, blending observation of the campaigns with analysis based on social choice theory. 3. One of the very few books to explain social choice theory in totally non-technical language and to explore what it means for democracy. 4. Gives an example of how to program a computer-counted election.