Section 1 OVERVIEW OF SLEEP MEDICINE.
1. Impact of sleep disorders on society.
2. Human sleep.
3. Classification of sleep disorders.
4. Pediatrics and sleep-related breathing disorders
5 Medical and dental conditions related to sleep-related breathing disorders
Section 2 ASSESSMENT OF THE SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
6. Sleep assessment/studies.
7. Evaluation by the dentist.
8. Imaging for sleep-related breathing disorders.
Section 3 MANAGEMENT OF THE SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
9. Positive airway pressure therapy for sleep-related breathing disorders.
10. Surgical treatment for sleep-related breathing disorders.
11. Oral appliance therapy for sleep-related breathing disorders.
Appendix 1: Abbreviations for sleep medicine.
Appendix 2: Glossary of terms for sleep medicine.
- Provides basic foundational knowledge including physiology and pathophysiology of sleep related breathing disorders
- Contextualizes the dentist’s role as a part of the medical team
- Discusses the full range of medical and dental treatment approaches to the most common sleep related breathing disorders
- Includes detailed discussion of clinical applicability of oral appliance therapy