EDITORS’ NOTES 5 Kathy L. Guthrie, Tamara Bertrand Jones, Laura Osteen Editors
1. Critical Domains of Culturally Relevant Leadership Learning: A Call to Transform Leadership Programs 9
Tamara Bertrand Jones, Kathy L. Guthrie, Laura Osteen
This chapter introduces the critical domains of culturally relevant leadership learning. The model explores how capacity, identity, and efficacy of student leaders interact with dimensions of campus climate.
2. Authenticity in Leadership: Intersectionality of Identities 23
Susan R. Jones
This chapter situates leadership and the process of becoming a leader within an understanding of identity, particularly intersecting social identities and intersectionality.
3. The Practice of Freedom: Leading Through Controversy 35
Sherry K. Watt
Theoretical frameworks, specific skills for leaders, and guidance to effectively work with others across difference as well as practice freedom to facilitate transformational social movements are explored in this chapter.
4. Culturally Responsive Integrative Learning Environments: A Critical Displacement Approach 47
Antron D. Mahoney
A critical framework for developing culturally responsive integrative learning environments in leadership education is explored in this chapter.
5. Leadership Lessons from Communities of Color: Stewardship and Collective Action 61
This chapter proposes a multicultural leadership model that reflects practices and principles from Black, Latino, and American Indian communities.
6. Preparing Interfaith Leaders: Knowledge Base and Skill Set for Interfaith Leaders 75
This chapter examines the vision, knowledge base, and skill set of interfaith leadership, which are practical and critical ways for creating culturally relevant leadership learning in higher education.
7. Internalization of Dominance and Subordination: Barriers to Creative and Intellectual Fullness 87
Tanya O. Williams
This chapter explores the ways in which identities and positions of dominance or subordination in a societal system of power and privilege affect the way in which leadership is enacted.
8. Leading to Transgress: Critical Considerations for Transforming Leadership Learning 95
Laura Osteen, Kathy L. Guthrie, Tamara Bertrand Jones
The culturally relevant leadership learning model, through the lens of theory and practice, is explored to create critical questions for guiding leadership educators in the ongoing process of transforming leadership programs.