Developing Language and Literacy: Effective Intervention in the Early Years
DescriptionDeveloping Language and Literacy: Effective Intervention in the Early Years describes successful intervention programmes to improve the phonological skills, vocabulary, and grammar of young children at risk of reading difficulties.
- Presents two structured intervention programmes to provide support for young children with language and literacy difficulties
- Describes clearly how to improve the language and foundation literacy skills of young children in the classroom
- Includes information about how to assess research, and how to monitor and design intervention strategies for use with individual children
- Helps teachers to develop an understanding of the intervention and research process as a whole
- Additional journal content to support this title is available click here
List of Tables.
List of Boxes.
About the Authors.
Foreword (Sir Jim Rose).
Chapter 1 Theoretical Framework: Foundations of Learning to Read.
Chapter 2 The Importance of Evidence.
Chapter 3 Principles of Intervention: Screening, Assessment and Monitoring Progress.
Chapter 4 The Nuffield Language for Reading Study.
Chapter 5 The Phonology with Reading Programme.
Chapter 6 The Oral Language Programme.
Chapter 7 Adapting the Programme for Children with Different Needs.
Chapter 8 Programme Delivery: Training, Implementation and Feedback.
Appendix 3.1 Reference List for Assessment Tests.
Appendix 5.1 List of Books Used for Group Work.
Appendix 6.1 Example Sessions from the OL Programme.
6.1.1 Introduction Session.
6.1.2 Instruction Session.
6.1.3 Consolidation Week Session.
Appendix 6.2 Nursery Rhyme Time.
Appendix 6.3 Resources Used to Develop the Programme.
Appendix 8.1 The P+R Programme Manual.
Appendix 8.2 The OL Programme Manual.
Appendix 8.3 Handout for Describing Segmenting and Blending.
Appendix 8.4 Examples of Inconsistent Letter-Sound Correspondences.
Appendix 8.5 Handout to Support Individual Book Reading.
Appendix 8.6 Individual Book Reading Strategies.
Appendix 8.7 Guidelines for Developing Sight Word Reading.
Appendix 8.8 Handout on Speech Production.
Appendix 8.9 Example of a Narrative Task.