What is research?
Being a researcher.
Who's who in the world of healthcare research?
The importance of research to healthcare.
How to use this book and the accompanying web program.
The web program.
1 Research and Allied Concepts.
What is research?
What is clinical audit?
Issues to consider when undertaking research, audit and service evaluation.
2 Philosophical Assumptions.
Philosophical assumptions of qualitative research.
Some major characteristics of qualitative research.
Philosophical assumptions of quantitative research.
Some major characteristics of quantitative research.
Using mixed methods in research.
3 The Research Proposal: Developing the Research Question.
Developing the research question.
Questions arising from the patient’s condition.
Finding the answers to your questions.
Types of research questions.
Clarifi cation of the research question.
4 The Research Proposal: Searching and Reviewing the Literature.
Steps in searching the literature.
How to undertake a literature search.
Hierarchy of evidence.
Reviewing the literature.
5 The Research Proposal: Research Design.
The focus of a research study.
6 The Research Proposal: Ethics in Research.
Introduction to ethics.
7 The Research Proposal: Selecting Participants.
What is a sample?
Why use a sample?
Probability and non-probability.
Types of probability sample.
Types of non-probability sample.
The size of samples.
8 The Research Proposal: Collecting Data.
Quantitative research − data collection.
Qualitative research − data collection.
9 The Research Proposal: Analysing Data.
Quantitative data analysis.
Qualitative data analysis.
10 The Research Proposal: Communicating Research Findings.
Writing a research report.
Writing for publication.
Issues associated with healthcare professionals and publication.
Presenting at conferences.
11 The Research Proposal: Current Research Issues in Healthcare.
Vested interests regarding the process and the reporting of research.
The politicisation of research.
The implementation of research fi ndings.
- Explains key concepts in a clear, easy to understand way
- Includes activities and scenarios for you to work through which will also increase your understanding of research and research proposals
- Easily navigable web resource (www.researchproposalsforhealthprofessionals.com)
- Both book and website are arranged in the same order in which you would develop and write a research proposal
- Website includes downloadable research proposal template to complete step-by-step as you work through the book and web resource