List of Boxes.
Introduction and Argument.
PART I: DEFINING DEVELOPMENT.
1. Growth and Development.
2. Structural Change, Industrialisation and Economic Growth.
3. Growth, Distribution and Equity.
PART II: EXPLAINING DEVELOPMENT.
4. Theories of Growth.
5. Development and The World.
6. Beyond the Impasse: Development Theory in the 1990s.
PART III: DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY: THE STATE AND THE INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY.
7. Globalisation, Trade and Development.
8. International Financial Flows.
9. The State, Growth and Development.
10. Development: The ‘Success’ Stories.
PART IIII THE DOMESTIC SECTOR.
11. Population, Migration and Urbanisation.
12. Agricultural Change and Rural Development.
13. Human Capital and Human Welfare: Health and Education.
14. Labour Markets and Employment.
- provides a comprehensive introduction to the study of development and the developing world
- introduces students to the key theoretical perspectives and conceptual frameworks in development studies
- outlines contemporary issues and current debates in the area