Preface to the first edition.
Section 1: Basic Principles of Diabetes and its Biochemistry.
1. Diagnosis and classification.
2. Epidemiology of diabetes.
3. Synthesis, secretion and actions of insulin.
4. Metabolic changes in diabetes: a summary.
5. Aetiology and genetics.
Section 2: Clinical Presentation and Treatment.
6. Clinical features of diabetes.
7. Management of Type 2 diabetes.
8. Management of Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
10. Diabetic hyperglycaemic emergencies.
11. Management of diabetes during surgery and other illnesses.
Section 3: Special Situations.
12. Pregnancy and diabetes.
13. Diabetes in children.
Section 4: Diabetic Complications.
14. An overview of microvascular complications.
15. Diabetes and the kidney.
16. Diabetic eye disease.
17. Diabetic neuropathies.
18. The diabetic foot.
19. Cardiovascular disease, hypertension and lipids.
Section 5: Diabetic Care.
21. Living with diabetes.
22. Organization of care.
John Anderson Consultant Physician, Homerton Hospital in Barts Journal in the fifth edition
'It is full of relevant information for the practising clincian, but also includes a useful theoretical background to diabetes... Overall, it is a very practical and stimulating book.'
Graham Leese Consultant Diabetologist, Ninewalls Hospital and Medical School in Hospital Update on the fifth edition
- Aimed at all healthcare professionals who care for patients with diabetes
- Valuable for those studying for the MRCP
- A compact, but complete, practical manual
- Divided into sections on pathogenesis, clinical management, diabetic complications and all aspects of diabetic care
- Updated and rewritten to include all the recent advances in diabetes