DescriptionBuilding on the success of the first edition Digital Speech offers extensive new, updated and revised material based upon the latest research. This Second Edition continues to provide the fundamental technical background required for low bit rate speech coding and the hottest developments in digital speech coding techniques that are applicable to evolving communication systems.
- Features new chapters on Pitch Estimation and Voice-Unvoiced Classification of Speech, Harmonic Speech Coding and Multimode Speech Coding
- Presents a comprehensively revised chapter entitled Analysis by Synthesis LPC Coding including specific examples of popular speech coders such as CELP (Code-Excited Linear Predictive) Coding
- Contains an updated chapter on Efficient LPC Quantization Methods including MSVQ and anti-aliasing filtering
- Discusses Voice Activity Detection (VAD) methods
- Offers expanded coverage of speech enhancement techniques such as echo cancellation and noise suppression
Written by a well-known, highly respected academic, this authoritative volume will be invaluable to practising engineers, network designers, computer scientists and advanced students in communications, electrical and electronic engineering.
2 Coding Strategies and Standards.
2.2 Speech Coding Techniques.
2.3 Algorithm Objectives and Requirements.
2.4 Standard Speech Coders.
3 Sampling and Quantization.
3.3 Scalar Quantization.
3.4 Vector Quantization.
4 Speech Signal Analysis and Modelling.
4.2 Short-Time Spectral Analysis.
4.3 Linear Predictive Modelling of Speech Signals.
4.4 Pitch Prediction.
5 Efficient LPC QuantizationMethods.
5.2 Alternative Representation of LPC.
5.3 LPC to LSF Transformation.
5.4 LSF to LPC Transformation.
5.5 Properties of LSFs.
5.6 LSF Quantization.
5.7 Codebook Structures.
5.8 MSVQ Performance Analysis.
5.9 Inter-frame Correlation.
5.10 Improved LSF Estimation Through Anti-Aliasing Filtering.
6 Pitch Estimation and Voiced–Unvoiced Classification of Speech.
6.2 Pitch Estimation Methods.
6.3 Voiced–Unvoiced Classification.
7 Analysis by Synthesis LPC Coding.
7.2 Generalized AbS Coding.
7.3 Code-Excited Linear Predictive Coding.
8 Harmonic Speech Coding.
8.2 Sinusoidal Analysis and Synthesis.
8.3 Parameter Estimation.
8.4 Common Harmonic Coders.
9 Multimode Speech Coding.
9.2 Design Challenges of a Hybrid Coder.
9.3 Summary of Hybrid Coders.
9.4 Synchronized Waveform-Matched Phase Model.
9.5 Hybrid Encoder.
9.6 Speech Classification.
9.7 Hybrid Decoder.
9.8 Performance Evaluation.
9.9 Quantization Issues of Hybrid Coder Parameters.
9.10 Variable Bit Rate Coding.
9.11 Acoustic Noise and Channel Error Performance.
10 Voice Activity Detection.
10.2 Standard VAD Methods.
10.3 Likelihood-Ratio-Based VAD.
11 Speech Enhancement.
11.2 Review of STSA-based Speech Enhancement.
11.3 Noise Adaptation.
11.4 Echo Cancellation.
- Fully updated material on the latest speech coders
- Examines both the theoretical design and practical application of speech coders
- Evaluates a range of speech coding techniques, speech analysis and modelling tools.
- Thorough approach on Linear Predictive based coding
- Additional chapters include Voice Activity Detection, pitch estimation and speech enhancement