DescriptionIf you’re a Dungeons & Dragons fan, you’ve surely thought of becoming a Dungeon Master. Learning to be a DM isn’t as hard as you might think, especially if you have Dungeon Master 4th Edition For Dummies tucked into your bag of tricks!
From organizing your first D&D game to dealing with difficult players, this book covers everything a DM needs to know. Written for the newest edition of D&D by the experts at Wizards of the Coast, creators of the game, it shows you how to:
- Build challenging encounters, make reasonable rulings, and manage disagreements
- Recognize all the common codes, tables, and spells
- Understand the parts of a D&D adventure and how to create dungeon maps and craft monsters
- Shape storylines and write your own adventures
- Find your style as a DM and develop a game style that plays to your strengths
- Script an encounter, vary the terrain and challenges, and establish rewards (experience points and treasure)
- Decide whether to use published adventures
- Use and follow the official Dungeon Master’s Guide
- Develop a campaign with exciting themes, memorable villains, and plots that keep players entranced
If you’re getting the urge to lead the charge in a D&D game of your own, Dungeon Master 4th Edition For Dummies will introduce you to the DM’s many jobs. With the information you need to start your own game, craft exciting stories, and set up epic adventures, you’ll be on your way!
Part I: Running a Great Game.
Chapter 1: The Role of the Dungeon Master.
Chapter 2: Preparing for Play.
Chapter 3: Running the Game.
Chapter 4: Narrating the Adventure.
Chapter 5: Dealing with Players.
Chapter 6: Teaching the Game.
Chapter 7: Your First Adventure: Kobold Hall.
Part II: Advanced Dungeon Mastering.
Chapter 8: Running an Ongoing Game.
Chapter 9: Choosing Your Game Style.
Chapter 10: Creating Excitement at the Game Table.
Chapter 11: Growing Your Game.
Chapter 12: Using Every Available Resource.
Part III: Creating Adventures.
Chapter 13: Tools of the Trade.
Chapter 14: The Dungeon Adventure.
Chapter 15: The Wilderness Adventure.
Chapter 16: The Event-Based Adventure.
Chapter 17: The Randomly Generated Adventure.
Chapter 18: Paragon and Epic Adventures.
Chapter 19: Sample Dungeon: The Necromancer’s Apprentice.
Part IV: Building a Campaign.
Chapter 20: Building a Continuous Story.
Chapter 21: Creating Memorable Villains.
Chapter 22: Bringing the World to Life.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 23: Ten Heroic Encounters.
Chapter 24: Ten Paragon Encounters.
Chapter 25: Ten Things to Avoid When DMing.
Chapter 26: Ten Things to Do All the Time When DMing.