List of Plates.
List of Maps.
Preface to the Second Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
Conventions and Abbreviations.
Introduction: England and its People, ca. 1485.
1. Establishing the Henrician Regime, 1485–1525.
2. (Dis-)Establishing the Henrician Church, 1525–1536.
3. Reformations and Counter-Reformations, 1536–1558.
4. The Elizabethan Settlement and its Challenges, 1558–1585.
5. The Elizabethan Triumph and Unsettlement, 1585–1603.
6. Merrie Olde England?, ca. 1603.
7. The Early Stuarts and the Three Kingdoms, 1603–1642.
8. Civil War, Revolution, and the Search for Stability, 1642–1660.
9. Restoration and Revolution, 1660–1689.
10. War and Politics, 1689–1714.
Conclusion: Augustan Polity, Society, and Culture, ca. 1714.
1. The Yorkists and Lancastrians.
2. The Tudors and Stuarts.
3. The Stuarts and Hanoverians.