Part I: Thinking Globally ...The Global Earth Surface System.
Fundamentals Of The Earth Surface System.
Environmental Change: Past, Present And Future.
Liberation And Flux Of Sediment.
Part II: Acting Locally: Fluid And Sediment Dynamics.
Some Fluid Mechanics.
Hyperconcentrated And Mass Flows.
Jets, Plumes And Mixing At The Coast.
Tides And Waves.
Ocean Currents And Storms.
- The pioneering textbook on the "new sedimentology".
- One of the first textbooks to adopt the Earth Systems approach to geology, developed at Penn State and Stanford.
- Should reinvigorate more traditional courses in physical sedimentology and dynamical sedimentology.
- Successfully marries the innovative holistic approach to Earth Systems with the traditional reductionist approach to sedimentary processes.
- Explains both the global-scale Earth Surface System and the fluid dynamics and sedimentary transport processes that underlie this.
- Quantitative approach is reinforced with worked examples and solutions.
- Richly illustrated with original diagrams and a colour plate section.