Series Editor's Preface.
List of Illustrations.
Notes on Contributors.
Introduction: Visualising Culture across the Edges of Empire.
(Mary Roberts and Jocelyn Hackforth-Jones).
1. Commemorating the Empire: From Algiers to Damascus.
2. Out of the Earth, Egypt's Statue of Liberty?.
(Darcy Grimaldo Grigsby).
3. Cultural Crossings: Sartorial Adventures, Satiric Narratives and the Question of Indigenous Agency in Nineteenth-Century Europe and the Near East. (Mary Roberts).
4. "Oriental" Femininity as Cultural Commodity: Authorship, Authority and Authenticity. (Reina Lewis).
5. The Sweet Waters of Asia: Representing Difference/Differencing Representation in Nineteenth-Century Istanbul. (Frederick N. Bohrer).
6. The Work of Translation: Turkish Modernism and the "Generation of 1914". (Alastair Wright).
7. Stolen or Shared: Ancient Egypt at the Petrie Museum.
8. Andalusia in the Time of the Moors: Regret and Colonial Presence in Paris, 1900. (Roger Benjamin).
Bibliography (Hannah Williams).