DescriptionThis comprehensive text examines existing and emerging electrical drive technologies. The authors clearly define the most basic electrical drive concepts and go on to explain the most important details while maintaining a solid connection to the theory and design of the associated electrical machines. Also including links to a number of industrial applications, the authors take their investigation of electrical drives beyond theory to examine a number of practical aspects of electrical drive control and application.
* Provides a comprehensive summary of all aspects of controlled-speed electrical drive technology including control and operation.
* Handling of electrical drives is solidly linked to the theory and design of the associated electrical machines. Added insight into problems and functions are illustrated with clearly understandable figures.
* Offers an understanding of the main phenomena associated with electrical machine drives.
* Considers the problem of bearing currents and voltage stresses of an electrical drive.
* Includes up-to-date theory and design guidelines, taking into account the most recent advances.
This book’s rigorous coverage of theoretical principles and techniques makes for an excellent introduction to controlled-speed electrical drive technologies for Electrical Engineering MSc or PhD students studying electrical drives. It also serves as an excellent reference for practicing electrical engineers looking to carry out design, analyses, and development of controlled-speed electrical drives.
Abbreviations and Symbols ix
1 Introduction to Electrical Machine Drives Control 1
2 Aspects Common to All Controlled Electrical Machine Drive Types 17
3 The Fundamentals of Electric Machines 36
4 The Fundamentals of Space-Vector Theory 66
5 Torque and Force Production and Power 91
6 Basic Control Principles for Electric Machines 107
7 DC and AC Power Electronic Topologies – Modulation for the Control of Rotating-Field Motors 147
8 Synchronous Electrical Machine Drives 191
9 Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine Drives 296
10 Synchronous Reluctance Machine Drives 346
11 Asynchronous Electrical Machine Drives 373
12 Switched Reluctance Machine Drives 449
13 Other Considerations: The Motor Cable, Voltage Stresses, and Bearing Currents 469