Editors' Notes 1
Bruce A. Jacobs, Jillian Kinzie
1. Sustainability, Student Affairs, and Students 7
Kathleen G. Kerr, Jeanne S. Hart-Steffes
The authors introduce the work being done on college campuses and by major professional associations to integrate sustainability into the student affairs mission.
2. Moving Beyond Green: Sustainable Development Toward Healthy Environments, Social Justice, and Strong Economies 19
Keith E. Edwards
This chapter frames sustainability initiatives in higher education and student affairs as a push beyond “green” ideas to the identification of solutions that lead to a more environmentally sound and economically viable future that is both just and equitable.
3. Student Services and Auxiliary Enterprises 29
Jeffrey S. Pittman
This chapter examines the increasing interconnection between and among student development, student affairs, and campus auxiliaries fostered by the evolution of sustainability concerns and activities.
4. Sustainability in Housing and Dining Operations 41
The author describes how Residence Life, and Housing and Dining operations can integrate sustainable issues in all aspects of their operations to impact student learning.
5. Sustainability in the Union 53
Patrick Brown, John Taylor
This chapter advances the discussion on how college unions can be a model for campus sustainability by including the perspective of stewardship in the operational model.
6. Sustainability and First Year Programs 67
The author makes the case for including sustainable practices in firstyear programs in order to impact the overall campus culture.
7. Organizing for Sustainability 83
William M. Brown, Michael W. Hamburger
This chapter details a sustainable campus model that integrates the academic and operational components of campus life.