DescriptionRespiratory diseases are among the most common medical conditions encountered in equine practice. They occur in horses of all breeds and ages, and can have a devastating impact on a horse’s health – anorexia, abortion, facial deformities and pneumonia are to name but a few of the consequences.
This book brings all the major equine respiratory diseases together in one single concise volume. Written by two leading equine experts, it enables the reader to relate clinical anatomy, physiology and pathology to clinical signs seen, and to form a rational basis for the control, treatment and prevention of respiratory diseases. Essential reading for all those working in or studying equine medicine, Equine Respiratory Diseases also includes:
- Diagnostic tests for infectious and non-infectious respiratory disease
- Details of techniques involved when testing for respiratory diseases
- Step-by-step practical instructions for carrying out procedures
- Numerous colour pictures
SECTION I: EXAMINATION OF THE EQUINE RESPIRATORY TRACT.
Chapter 1: Examination of the Upper Respiratory Tract.
Chapter 2. Examination of the Lower Respiratory Tract.
SECTION II: NONCONTAGIOUS DISEASES OF THE UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT.
Chapter 3. Diseases causing Airway Obstruction in the Horse.
Chapter 4. The nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses.
Chapter 5. Congenital and Development Malformations of the Nasal cavity.
Chapter 6. Diseases Affecting the Nostrils (External Nares).
Chapter 7. Diseases of the Nasal cavity and Paranasal Sinuses.
Chapter 8: The Guttural Pouches.
Chapter 9: The Pharynx.
Chapter 10: The Larynx.
Chapter 11: Dynamic Airway Collapse During Exercise.
Chapter 12: Postanesthetic Upper Respiratory Tract Obstruction.
Chapter 13: The Trachea.
SECTION III: CONTAGIOUS RESPIRATORY DISEASES.
Chapter 14: Strangles.
Chapter 15: Equine Herpesvirus (Rhinopneumonitis).
Chapter 16: Equine Influenza.
Chapter 17: Equine Viral Arteritis (EVA).
Chapter 18: Other Contagious Respiratory Diseases.
SECTION IV: NONINFECTIOUS PULMONARY DISEASES AND DIAGNOSTIC TECHNIQUES.
Chapter 19: Noninfectious Pulmonary Diseases.
Chapter 20: Techniques: Noninfectious Lower Respiratory Tract.
SECTION V: LOWER RESPIRATORY TRACT INFECTIOUS DISEASE AND DIAGNOSTIC TECHNIQUES.
Chapter 21: Juvenile Pneumonia.
Chapter 22: Pneumonia in Adult Horses.
Chapter 23: Techniques for Infectious Respiratory Disease.
""The general nature of the contents and its user friendly format will lend itself to equine practitioners, veterinary students and equine veterinary nurses alike.""
Equine Veterinary Journal, 2005
- A concise, step-by-step guide to equine respiratory diseases, which are the most common medical conditions encountered in equine practice;
- Enables the reader, with the aid of numerous colour photographs, to relate clinical anatomy, physiology and pathology to clinical signs seen, and to form a rational basis for the control, treatment and prevention of respiratory diseases;
- Provides diagnostic tests for infectious and non-infectious respiratory disease.