- Six new chapters on vital topics of interest such as multilocus SNP genotyping (SNP chips), RNAi, ChIP-chip, and genomic tiling arrays
- New edition responds to reviewers' and users' desire for greater coverage—now the most useful handbook on the market!
- Practical, concise summary of everything about genomics and emerging technologies a busy physician or medical student should know
- Covers concepts and techniques that are in use in medicine now, as well as those on the cutting-edge of science relevant to medicine, from bioinformatics to DNA diagnostics and proteomics
- NEW: Includes chapter-end exercises, enhancing the utility of the new edition as a textbook
- NEW: PowerPoint slides of images available at instructor website
1 Introduction to Molecular Genetics.
The Principles of Inheritance.
Genes Are Made of DNA.
The Central Dogma.
2 Molecular Biology Technology.
Cut, Copy, and Paste.
DNA Cloning Is Copying.
PCR Is Cloning without the Bacteria.
3 Genome Databases.
Human Genetic Diseases.
A System for Naming Genes.
Model Organisms (Comparative Genomics).
Sequencing Other Genomes.
4 Bioinformatics Tools.
Patterns and Tools.
5 Human Genetic Variation.
The HapMap Project.
Research Uses of SNP Markers.
Ethnicity and Genome Diversity.
6 Genetic Testing for the Practitioner (Harry Ostrer).
Clinical Applications of Genetic Testing.
Methods of Genetic Testing.
Adequacy of Genetic Testing.
7 Gene Therapy (John G. Hay).
Strategies of Gene Therapy.
DNA Elements for Gene Expression.
Gene Delivery Systems.
Targeting Gene Delivery.
Formative Years and Initial Clinical Approaches.
Spotting versus Synthesis on the Chip.
Other Types of Arrays.
Differential Gene Expression.
Error and Reliability.
9 Analysis of Microarray Data.
Data Analysis Workflow.
10 Pharmacogenomics and Toxicogenomics.
Toxicogenomics for Drug Development.
11 Clinical Research Informatics.
Clinical Trials Management.
Data Standards and Ontologies.
Application to Medical Practice.
12 RNA Interference and MicroRNAs.
13 Alternative Splicing.
Medical Applications of Alternative Splicing.
14 Genome Tiling Chips.
Whole-Genome Transcription Profilig.
15 Cancer Genomics.
Understanding Cancer Genomics.
Copy Number Mutations.
Gene Expression Signatures.
Cancer Genome Atlas.
17 Consumer Genomics and Genealogy.
18 The Ethics of Medical Genomics.
Human Genome Diversity Project and Population Genetics.
Impact on Physicians and Researchers.
Appendix: Genetic Testing: Scientific Background for Policymakers (Amanda K. Sarata).