DescriptionEssentials of Physician Practice Management offers a practical reference for administrators and medical directors and provides a comprehensive text for those preparing for a career in medical administration, practice management, and health plan administration. Essentials of Physician Practice Management is filled with valuable insights into every aspect of medical practice management including operations, financial management, strategic planning, regulation and risk management, human resources, and community relations.
PART ONE: FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT.
1. Budgeting for Physician Practices (Marci S. Thomas).
2. Revenue Cycle (Lou Porn, Polly Minugh).
3. Understanding the Cost of Providing Services (Suriya H. Grima, John A. Grima).
4. Taxation and Physician Practices (Anne M. McGeorge).
5. Capital Investment Decisions (Marci S. Thomas, Elisabeth Fowlie Mock).
6. Monitoring Financial Performance (Teresa L. Edwards).
PART TWO: REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT AND RISK MANAGEMENT.
7. Negotiating Managed Care Contracts and Contract Management (Beacham Wray).
8. Federal and State Regulations (Bruce A. Johnson).
9. Corporate Compliance in a Medical Practice Setting (Bruce A. Johnson).
10. Risk Management (Kathryn Johnson).
PART THREE: HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT.
11. Governance and Leadership in a Medical Practice (Blair A. Keagy).
12. Human Resource Management (Bruce J. Fried, Marci S. Thomas, Lisa L. Goodrich).
13. Physician Compensation (Lou Porn).
14. The Role of Nonphysician Clinicians in Medical Practice (Blair A. Keagy).
15. Impact of Nursing Workforce Issues on the Physician and Practice Manager (Elizabeth A. Arsenault).
PART FOUR: STRATEGIC CONSIDERATIONS: PLANNING, MARKETING, AND MANAGEMENT.
16. Developing a Business Plan (Lou Porn).
17. Adding a New Service or Program to a Medical Practice (Blair A. Keagy).
18. Marketing a Practice (Karen McCall, Dan Dunlop).
19. Integrating a Clinical Research Program into a Medical Practice (William A. Marston).
20. Relationships Between Medical Practices and Community Hospitals (Blair A. Keagy).
21. Academic Medical Centers (Mary Jane Kagarise, Anthony A. Meyer).
PART FIVE: INFORMATION MANAGEMENT.
22. Information Systems (David D. Potenziani).
23. Performance Improvement, Teamwork, and Monitoring Outcomes (Bette G. Brotherton, Larry Mandelkehr).
24. The Twenty-First-Century Medical Environment (George F. Sheldon).