Estate Planning For Dummies
Estate Planning For Dummies
ISBN: 978-1-118-05395-9 March 2011 384 Pages
Written by two estate planning pros, this simple, easy-to-use guide takes the pain out of planning for your ultimate financial future. In plain English, the authors walk you step-by-step through everything you need to know to:
- Put your estate into order
- Minimize estate taxes
- Write a proper will
- Deal with probate
- Set up trusts
- Make sure your insurance policies are structured properly
- Plan for special situations, like becoming incompetent and pet care
- Craft a solid estate plan and keep it up-to-date
Don’t leave the final disposition of your estate up to chance and the whims of bureaucrats. Estate Planning For Dummies gives you the complete lowdown on:
- Figuring out what you're really worth
- Mastering the basics of wills and probate
- Using will substitutes and dodging probate taxes
- Setting up protective trusts, charitable trusts, living trusts and more
- Making sense of state and federal inheritance taxes
- Avoiding the generation skipping transfer tax
- Minimizing all your estate-related taxes
- Estate planning for family businesses
- Creating a comprehensive estate plan
Straightforward, reader-friendly, easy-to-use, Estate Planning For Dummies is the ultimate guide to planning your family’s future.
Table of contents
Part I: Estate Planning Fundamentals.
Chapter 1: Congratulations: You Have an Estate!
Chapter 2: Bean Counting — Figuring Out What You’re Worth.
Part II: Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Chapter 3: Understanding the Basics of Wills.
Chapter 4: Tied Hands and Helping Hands: What You Can and Can’t Do with Your Will.
Chapter 5: Probate: Top of the Ninth for Your Estate.
Chapter 6: Dodging Probate: Saving Time and Money with a Will Substitute.
Part III: Matters of Trust.
Chapter 7: Understanding Trusts.
Chapter 8: Trusts You May Want to Trust — or Not.
Chapter 9: Working a Trust Into Your Estate Plan.
Part IV: Life, Death, and Taxes.
Chapter 10: Preparing for the Tug of War with the Taxman.
Chapter 11: The Gift Tax: Isn’t Giving a Gift Enough?
Chapter 12: Skipping Around the Generation Skipping Transfer Tax.
Chapter 13: Paying or Not Paying the Death Tax: That’s the Question.
Chapter 14: Planning to Minimize All Your Estate-Related Taxes.
Part V: Estate Planning for Family Businesses.
Chapter 15: Grasping the Basics of Estate Planning for Family Businesses.
Chapter 16: Transferring Ownership and Paying Estate Taxes in a Family Business.
Part VI: Crafting a Comprehensive Estate Plan.
Chapter 17: Factoring Insurance into Your Estate Plan.
Chapter 18: Connecting Your Retirement Funds to Your Estate Plans.
Chapter 19: Estate Planning in Exceptional Situations.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 20: Ten Questions to Get You Rolling on Your Estate Plan.
Chapter 21: Avoiding Ten Common Mistakes and Problems in Your Will.
Chapter 22: Ten Estate-Planning Resources on the Internet.